• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting with double trigger rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Been hunting with NE'er single trigger. In the field it is capped and at half cock. Can silently pull trigger and pull hammer to full cock.

Recently acquired Renegade and switched double triggers to Davis deer slayer. I'm assuming that the only silent way to be ready to fire is to carry at full cock and set then cap when game is in sight. Suggestions please.

When I used caplocks I always used a "Kap Kover"...a waterproof safety. (Google it).

2 Photos:

Sounds like you're trying to eliminate the noise of setting the set trigger? After silently going from half cock to full cock?

Dunno, because I almost never use the set trigger on the Davis triggers. Mine are all so good that I just don't use it except when testing loads at the range.

Interested to read this discussion. Don't recall any real noise from the set trigger, but heck.... I can't hear my wife half the time. :rotf:

There is no requirement to "set" the triggers.
You can continue to do as you have always done using just the front trigger.

If you can not move the lock to half cock without the triggers set,, then the triggers rear main spring needs adjustment.

necchi said:
There is no requirement to "set" the triggers.
You can continue to do as you have always done using just the front trigger.

If you can not move the lock to half cock without the triggers set,, then the triggers rear main spring needs adjustment.

Yep, can still cock silently just use the front trigger...Then you can decide to set for lighter pull or not..

Thanks Roundball, that kover looks like the solution. I will get one

With the rear trigger set the front trigger can then be pressed to release the top blade of the rear trigger which then presses up on the sear arm. Noisy action. Cannot silently go from half cock to full

Necchi and BrownBear, the front trigger when not engaged with the set trigger has no effect on the sear arm. It appears that just the blade of the rear trigger has access to the sear. But I may be missing something.

Carry it on half cock. Then when you are ready to fire, pull your front trigger as you ease the hammer back to full cock. Release the front trigger when the hammer reaches full cock. Now when you acquire your sight picture, set the front trigger by pulling the rear trigger and you are ready to harvest some game. The procedure, when done carefully is nearly silent. Not much more noise than the average squirrel fart. Practice a bit at home until you can do it almost silently.

The Kap Kover is a great idea as is a cow's knee. But, in either case, be sure that your leather thong is properly tied to your trigger guard. Somewhere in the woods there is a perfectly beautiful cow's knee simply because I didn't tie the thong to my trigger guard properly. Ya live and learn.

CO Elkeater said:
Necchi and BrownBear, the front trigger when not engaged with the set trigger has no effect on the sear arm. It appears that just the blade of the rear trigger has access to the sear. But I may be missing something.
:hmm:
A Renegade with a Davis DeerSlayer trigger?
Your right, that doesn't make much sense.

Some times a little wood needs to be removed from the trigger mortise to get the Davis trigger to fit.
Sounds like the trigger is not fully seated in the mortise.
Double check the fit,, Is the front part of the trigger all the way down in it's hole like the TC factory trigger was?

CO Elkeater said:
Thanks Roundball, that kover looks like the solution. I will get one

With the rear trigger set the front trigger can then be pressed to release the top blade of the rear trigger which then presses up on the sear arm. Noisy action. Cannot silently go from half cock to full

There's you problem...

Don't set the rear before going to full cock...

Ride the sear just like a single trigger rifle with the front trigger, then set the rear if needed... :thumbsup:

Let me just say you will never go into the woods with me with a rifle on full cock. To me thats just plain crazy and very unsafe. Even with a cap cover. I hunt all the time with muzzleloaders, and if I use a modern gun its a single shot encore which requires cocking a hammer, no game has ever spooked from me cocking a hammer or setting a trigger. Then again I don't wait until they up up close and personal (20 yards or less) Once they are within shooting range I cock the hammer back all the way, with the set trigger I wait until I am ready to shoot, its a fast set, to trigger squeeze. Some of my buddies preset the back trigger while sitting waiting on deer then just cock hammer to full cock and shoot. I grew up in the North in michigan and wore gloves almost always gun hunting so I learned cock, set trigger, front trigger to combat the gloves issue.
Think safety first, killing deer second !!

My Dad always used a spent 22 rim fire casing similar idea to this cover. I do the same. Just because he did I guess. Cheap alternative

You are right. That picture is deceiving. The hammer should be lowered onto the top of that kap kover and carried that way. They are a good thing to have whilst walking with a muzzleloader, much better than half cock.

Wyforestor,when at full cock how do you secure the 22 case?

A full swing of the front trigger engages nothing when not set. The only function of front trigger is to release the top blade of rear "set" trigger. The main spring then sends the blade up against the sear arm.

Cannot cock silently, cannot set silently; in any combination.

As instruction directed I removed a little wood for the trigger main spring screw. Triggers are properly fitted.

I reckon the O ring on the kap kover will hold it firmly. When I receive one and confirm its usefulness I will use it at set full cock with confidence. But will investigate securing the 22 case and a "cow's knee".

CO Elkeater said:
Triggers are properly fitted.
Sorry, respectfully disagree.
The Davis Deer Slayer is made to fit in a Renegade and function properly.

Did your Renegade come with the factory double triggers? Or is your Renegade the "hunter" model with a factory single trigger/trigger guard combo?

I keep coming back to this thread to help ya, there is something amiss here,,

I'm thinking it's not down in front all the way.
If your Renegade is a newer one with the through stock tang bolt that screws into the Trigger guard,,
Then the front of the trigger mortise needs to be longer so the trigger plate drops down flush with the bottom of the rest of the trigger mortise, then a small screw may need to be installed in the front of the trigger plate to hold it down.

The tang is secured with 2 wood screws.

I took just a touch of wood out where the point of the front trigger blade hit. Trigger travels a little further.

With the lock out it seemed to take too much pressure on the sear to trip it. Removed sear. The cup of the sear spring traveled roughly in the whole; rust. Back together the trigger works but with too heavy a pull. I need to thouraly clean the lock. Maybe trim down the sear spring.

Although I have not had a double trigger rifle in 35 years or so I do remember that with my old TC Hawken I could set the back trigger at half cock when I got into position before any game came around. Then I would just ease the hammer to full cock and the set trigger would already be set. I can't remember if I could slowly pull the hammer back while depressing the front trigger or not and still have the set trigger set. I seem to think I could do it with absolutely no sound at all but it has been a long time. Try it unloaded and see if it works. I like a well tuned single trigger and I never cared for the trigger guards that come on double trigger rifles.

Latest posts

Back