• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Yardage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will admit that judging distances over plowed fields or over winter wheat is difficult. I can only assume that estimating range over open prairies is also difficult.

That is very difficult. The way I approach it is to estimate the distance of something further away than the object of interest. Maybe a tree line or windmill or whatever. Then estimate the distance to the object relative to the major feature distance.

For ml hunting it's not much of a problem since things at 100 yards or less are not that difficult.

Two years ago I shot an antelope at 280 yards with near perfect shot placement (not ml). Shot was off crossticks and had figured it to be 270 yards. I took a long long time to decide on that shot. Not in calculating distance, but just sorta feeling it as well as looking all around at other features both nearer and further than the antelope. It's sorta thinking without thinking if ya know what I mean.

I'm lucky (or plan well) so the majority of my shots are 40 yards or less. I practice out to 120 yards with round ball, but it would have to be a planetary alignment or similar to convince me of a 100 yard shot. The conditions would need be perfect: rest, relaxed deer, calm day, etc.

80 yards is pushing my eyesight with the open sights anymore. Especially at the dusk and dark woods settings.

I'm the primary firearms instructor for my station so I get to shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year. I still can't range things accurately 100 percent of the time and the further it is the more apt I am to be off. I can tell when I need to shoot a little high with my virginia rifle and when it's too far. 150 yards is my absolute max with a rest but most shots will be much closer.

:v My dad used to tell me that "if you can't see the animals eyes with your naked eyes, your not hunting you are just killing". Even if the gun I'm using isn't the limiting factor I generally am! I'll shoot paper and metal way out there, but you can't gut shoot a target and I don't want to start on animals. :v

Sound advice. I would have to agree. I am not looking to hunt out that far, I just wanted to know typical yardeages, and what this particular set up I have orderes, what I might expect. I know everyone is different, and everyone shoots differently, but I just wanted some other opinions.
Thanks again to all of whom replied.

Aim small, miss small...

MercerLake said:
:v My dad used to tell me that "if you can't see the animals eyes with your naked eyes, your not hunting you are just killing". Even if the gun I'm using isn't the limiting factor I generally am! I'll shoot paper and metal way out there, but you can't gut shoot a target and I don't want to start on animals. :v

Ive hunted those little "dunes deer" taht you all have around there.... You have to be purty sneaky to see them beady little deer eyes! :haha: :haha: :haha:

True story: I kilt a little forky in the dunes just north of Werhouser / Coos Bay ... West of "Spin-Reel". Gutted yet hide on I could pick it up by the neck with one hand. :grin:

We have a life size deer set out at about 75 yards as one of our targets for our shoots. Shooting is all offhand, most will miss this target. Kind of an eye opener. flinch

For our club's next shoot has a buffalo target out at 200 yards and it will be off hand. I don't think it's expected that we hit it but more of a novelty target.

On range estimation... I shoot CF rifles at known and unknown distance out to 1000 yds - use mil-dot to estimate UKD. Archery - 3d and stump shooting with known and unknown distance (longbows and recurves "instinctive") as well as an olympic recurve out to 70 yards w\sights. Not to mention 20+ years of golf..haha.

My question is to those with "aging eyesight"... and I am definitely playing a bit of devils' advocate here.... :hmm:
Do you suffer and struggle to stay "pure" with the primitive sights that are "correct" for your rifle, or do you use modern high-viz iron sights? Not that the high-viz sights would extend the range too much, but it would sure make shot placement for a quick and humane kill more likely...

The TC sights are decent out of the box, the various Lyman hunting sights look decent but both are decidedly modern..... :idunno: Like I said.... Stirring the pot with a canoe paddle...

So far I have been able to stay with my primitive sights which work for me still and I've only had to cut my yardage down. No more 100 yard shots for me. I think before going with anything modern I will still be able to squeeze a few years out just by widening my front sight blade and rear sight notch. We'll see, I'm doing fine so far now long as I stay within 75 yards.

Latest posts

Back