• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hy-Hunter Buccaneer parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jappo

Poco Loco
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Hy-Hunter Hollywood pistol. Was working fine with a homemade flint. Spark was a little weak. I ordered a couple of English ones.
Well when I pulled the hammer back it didn't have any tension. Removed the lock and a piece of the main spring fell out.
Anyone know where I can find another spring?

Attachments

• 20240911_110838.jpg
    20240911_110838.jpg
    2 MB
  • 20240911_110849.jpg
    20240911_110849.jpg
    1.9 MB
Well I got the lock back from Paul Ackermann. Works great.
Now I have a question. Anyone have one of these, or shot one. I'm wanting a light load to propel a ball. Where should I start ?

What did Paul do to it? I have one and it sparks but very weak. I never shot it so I don't have any load advice.

You don't say what the caliber is. But if you just want to launch lead, I'd start with 15 grains 4F (Yeah I went there 😁) Then work up to something comfortable to you.

You don't say what the caliber is. But if you just want to launch lead, I'd start with 15 grains 4F (Yeah I went there 😁) Then work up to something comfortable to you.
Not sure of the caliber. Can't get down far enough to measure. About .80, the muzzle is coned/flared to about .90.
I googled it and no one seems to know. .60 up to .90 I think I seen one person say they used a patched 735 ball and 100gr 2f.

What did Paul do to it? I have one and it sparks but very weak. I never shot it so I don't have any load advice.
He replaced the mainspring and hardened the frizzen. The spring is obsolete and he fitted another one. He did all that for 100. He'll harden a frizzen for 40 shipping it back included.

It's difficult to measure the bore with that coned/funneled muzzle. Mine, as near as I can make out is about .75-plus caliber. They were advertised as .79 but I kind of doubt that. I have a mold for ,714 balls so that's what I use with a couple of denium patches and 35 grains of 3f black. That barrel is really thick walled so I'm sure I could use a heavier charge but I just don't see the point. A heavy smoothbore pistol without sights means I'm not going to hit much at all but it's fun to shoot anyway and a real attention-getter at the range. I also carry a ramrod made from 3/8 dowling because that silly 1/4 inch one that comes with it isn't going to do much at all. Good luck and have fun.

It's difficult to measure the bore with that coned/funneled muzzle. Mine, as near as I can make out is about .75-plus caliber. They were advertised as .79 but I kind of doubt that. I have a mold for ,714 balls so that's what I use with a couple of denium patches and 35 grains of 3f black. That barrel is really thick walled so I'm sure I could use a heavier charge but I just don't see the point. A heavy smoothbore pistol without sights means I'm not going to hit much at all but it's fun to shoot anyway and a real attention-getter at the range. I also carry a ramrod made from 3/8 dowling because that silly 1/4 inch one that comes with it isn't going to do much at all. Good luck and have fun.
I really appreciate that info. I made a shotgun rod end for it. I plan to use shot also. I was given a bag of mixed shot. #4, 6 and 9. I also have 12 gauge balls but not sure of caliber.

Back