• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hy-Hunter Buccaneer parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jappo

Poco Loco
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Hy-Hunter Hollywood pistol. Was working fine with a homemade flint. Spark was a little weak. I ordered a couple of English ones.
Well when I pulled the hammer back it didn't have any tension. Removed the lock and a piece of the main spring fell out.
Anyone know where I can find another spring?

Attachments

• 20240911_110838.jpg
    20240911_110838.jpg
    2 MB
  • 20240911_110849.jpg
    20240911_110849.jpg
    1.9 MB
Well I got the lock back from Paul Ackermann. Works great.
Now I have a question. Anyone have one of these, or shot one. I'm wanting a light load to propel a ball. Where should I start ?

What did Paul do to it? I have one and it sparks but very weak. I never shot it so I don't have any load advice.

You don't say what the caliber is. But if you just want to launch lead, I'd start with 15 grains 4F (Yeah I went there 😁) Then work up to something comfortable to you.

You don't say what the caliber is. But if you just want to launch lead, I'd start with 15 grains 4F (Yeah I went there 😁) Then work up to something comfortable to you.
Not sure of the caliber. Can't get down far enough to measure. About .80, the muzzle is coned/flared to about .90.
I googled it and no one seems to know. .60 up to .90 I think I seen one person say they used a patched 735 ball and 100gr 2f.

What did Paul do to it? I have one and it sparks but very weak. I never shot it so I don't have any load advice.
He replaced the mainspring and hardened the frizzen. The spring is obsolete and he fitted another one. He did all that for 100. He'll harden a frizzen for 40 shipping it back included.

It's difficult to measure the bore with that coned/funneled muzzle. Mine, as near as I can make out is about .75-plus caliber. They were advertised as .79 but I kind of doubt that. I have a mold for ,714 balls so that's what I use with a couple of denium patches and 35 grains of 3f black. That barrel is really thick walled so I'm sure I could use a heavier charge but I just don't see the point. A heavy smoothbore pistol without sights means I'm not going to hit much at all but it's fun to shoot anyway and a real attention-getter at the range. I also carry a ramrod made from 3/8 dowling because that silly 1/4 inch one that comes with it isn't going to do much at all. Good luck and have fun.

It's difficult to measure the bore with that coned/funneled muzzle. Mine, as near as I can make out is about .75-plus caliber. They were advertised as .79 but I kind of doubt that. I have a mold for ,714 balls so that's what I use with a couple of denium patches and 35 grains of 3f black. That barrel is really thick walled so I'm sure I could use a heavier charge but I just don't see the point. A heavy smoothbore pistol without sights means I'm not going to hit much at all but it's fun to shoot anyway and a real attention-getter at the range. I also carry a ramrod made from 3/8 dowling because that silly 1/4 inch one that comes with it isn't going to do much at all. Good luck and have fun.
I really appreciate that info. I made a shotgun rod end for it. I plan to use shot also. I was given a bag of mixed shot. #4, 6 and 9. I also have 12 gauge balls but not sure of caliber.

Hi Jappo

I actually bought one of these new for about $35.00 back in 1963. LOL Used it at 13 years old to fire blanks in the back yard. Shot it till the sear spring broke. Glad you were able to get the mainspring fixed and the frizzen hardened. As I recall, that cone at the muzzle goes down only about 1/2". Just long enough where a standard micrometer arms won't reach. Find someone with a long arm, inside micrometer to measure 2-3" down the bore. Then use that measurement to measure with the standard gauge/dial micrometer. That should give you a close idea of the actual caliber. With these big bore flint pistols, I've found that about 30-35 grains of FFG works well. They are not much use past 15-yards. Start at 7 yards. They will shoot VERY high. You have to point very low.

Rick

Back