• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hy-Hunter Buccaneer questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle M.

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I have one of these massive chunks of wood and steel. I bought it from an older gentleman who bought it new and never fired it about 15 years ago for $50. It's just been sitting on a shelf in a closet and I recently came across it again. I've been shooting percussion guns for years and I even have a matchlock. I've always wanted to play around with a flintlock but just never got around to it. Does anyone know what size flint these things take? The Frizzen is 1-1/8" wide at it's widest point if that helps. Also when I bought it it had the brass butt cap and at some point I lost the screw that holds it on. I had the cap in the toolbox I keep all of my blackpowder stuff for years but of course no I can't find it. Anyone know where I could find another one? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have one coming, hopefully be here tomorrow. It doesn't have a flint either. I knapp flint so hopefully I can make my own.
As for a buttcap, might try ebay or Deercreek Products.

Mine takes a 5/8" flint but it's a weak, 'cold' sparker. Normally just a couple of dark orange sparks with each strike. Never fired it because i don't have anything big enough to shoot out of it. Maybe a child's size bowling ball?!?!

It's been many years since I shot mine but I used a flint from my Brown Bess and a .735" ball with several patches, a lot of fun.

Keep digging because you are not likely to find a but cap for it.

So I have one of these massive chunks of wood and steel. I bought it from an older gentleman who bought it new and never fired it about 15 years ago for $50. It's just been sitting on a shelf in a closet and I recently came across it again. I've been shooting percussion guns for years and I even have a matchlock. I've always wanted to play around with a flintlock but just never got around to it. Does anyone know what size flint these things take? The Frizzen is 1-1/8" wide at it's widest point if that helps. Also when I bought it it had the brass butt cap and at some point I lost the screw that holds it on. I had the cap in the toolbox I keep all of my blackpowder stuff for years but of course no I can't find it. Anyone know where I could find another one? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Did you find the correct flint for it?

Got mine last week. Put a homemade flint in it and it sparked ok. I couldn't get it just right. So I ordered a couple English. Installed it, pulled the hammer back and nothing. No tension. Took the lock off and a piece of the mainspring fell out.
Well so must for that. I now have a $350 wallhanger. No blacksmiths around here. And the cost to get a new one made? Not sure about that.

Got mine last week. Put a homemade flint in it and it sparked ok. I couldn't get it just right. So I ordered a couple English. Installed it, pulled the hammer back and nothing. No tension. Took the lock off and a piece of the mainspring fell out.
Well so must for that. I now have a $350 wallhanger. No blacksmiths around here. And the cost to get a new one made? Not sure about that.
That was a bit much for that type gun; I'd not pay more than a hundred bucks for one. Maybe you can salvage it somehow.

That was a bit much for that type gun; I'd not pay more than a hundred bucks for one. Maybe you can salvage it somehow.
Well it looked like a good buy at the time. I'd always wanted one and it was the cheapest I could afford.
I have a Colt Walker and the spring looks like I can make one work. It's the closest I could find that might work.

Send the lock to Jeff Miller/Flintlock Forge Waldoboro Maine.

I purchased one of these new in 1964 for about $35.00. I was 14 then and shot blanks with it in the back yard. LOL. Had to send the frizzen to DGW to get it hardened. Fired that gun till the sear spring broke.
A Question: I'm trying to remember.....does the mainspring look like other typical mainsprings ? Or does it look more like the upper part of a "Y" ?

Rick

I purchased one of these new in 1964 for about $35.00. I was 14 then and shot blanks with it in the back yard. LOL. Had to send the frizzen to DGW to get it hardened. Fired that gun till the sear spring broke.
A Question: I'm trying to remember.....does the mainspring look like other typical mainsprings ? Or does it look more like the upper part of a "Y" ?

Rick
Yes, or a V shape.

Attachments

• 20240911_110838.jpg
    20240911_110838.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Hi Jappo

OK. That's what I thought. You will not find a mainspring to match. I this case, I would send the lock to Jeff Miller as recommended above Not sure Cabin Creek can duplicate the mainspring (?) But you can ask. Jeff can forge a new mainspring to duplicate yours. Pretty sure. But you want to send him the broken one to match. While your at it, you might have him make a spare sear spring as well as hardening the frizzen, and any minor tuning he suggests.
The springs in these pistols don't seem to be tempered quite right for longevity. But such was the case with many commercially available flintlocks back in the 1960's.

Rick

I’m still not sure if I want to put more money in it. I sold my Trapper to get this thing. Since it looked new. The frizzen was never hit. I did take it apart and polished up the parts and surfaces. There were quite a few issues with it. Rough edges and such. All the screws were loose. The frizzen was too tight. I worked on two days. Maybe a little over an hour each day. I got it working good. Used a homemade flint and 2f powder in the pan. And about 15gr 2f loose powder down the barrel. Clean it up and ordered a couple English flint. Was fitting one and the hammer was loose.
Yes I cried….

Hi Jappo

OK. That's what I thought. You will not find a mainspring to match. I this case, I would send the lock to Jeff Miller as recommended above Not sure Cabin Creek can duplicate the mainspring (?) But you can ask. Jeff can forge a new mainspring to duplicate yours. Pretty sure. But you want to send him the broken one to match. While your at it, you might have him make a spare sear spring as well as hardening the frizzen, and any minor tuning he suggests.
The springs in these pistols don't seem to be tempered quite right for longevity. But such was the case with many commercially available flintlocks back in the 1960's.

Ri
Well Cabin Creek got back to me. Finding a new spring and fitting it, or making another to match would be over $200.

Pack your problem up and send it to Brad Emig, Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders.

50 W Beaver St, Hallam, PA, United States, 17406

(717) 757-5841

[email protected]
My experience with Mr. Emig was sterling; fast service, very knowledgeable of course. You can send him just the lock, BTW, not always needs the entire gun. Call to discuss, he's the Lock- Man!

That cost to make a mainspring sounds about right, unfortunately in this case. Sounds like you have three choices:

1. Keep the pistol as a wall hanger.
2. Sell the pistol (at a big loss) for parts. (Sounds like the OP could use the butt cap and screw).
3. Spend whatever it takes to get get the lock in good working order, and keep it.

Rick

Back