• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am truly sorry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
To everybody I offended with my Hornday post I am truly sorry.
I first and formost am a traditionalist and feel traditional muzzleloading is just that traditional.
I have seen many game animals on this forum shot with other things than PRB. That is why I felt comfortable reaching out to the hunters on this forum who shoot other projectiles than PRB out of their hunting rifles for info.
I contemplated putting it on the non forum but know that quite a few members don't read the non forum and the info I was looking for was hunting related.
I will not make the same mistake twice.
In the future tho whether you are PC or not a little tact goes a long way. We are all in the same boat. Attacking somebody who is just looking for info that has been on this forum before is petty and useless. Remember we WANT!!! new members we Want!!! to bring people over to the traditional side.
Again I am sorry for creating a manure storm.
:v

Don't worry about it. We have different opinions and that's what makes discussions interesting. The problem comes when we waste too much server space in urine spraying contests that go nowhere and just serve to upset all sides.

We (forumetrically speaking, if I may) do not encourage modern muzzleloading equipment, but we are realistic enough to realize that our next generations for the forseeable future will start with one because that is where the intro to muzzleloading now is. Like it or not.

It's like getting a bible tract and a sermon with your free lunch at the soup kitchen. We're here to gather lost souls and redeem them. ;-)

And this forum is muzzleloader hunting. If you can't feel confident with a round ball or are restricted for local game laws to conicals I would certainly not insist you use one. Buy I'll sure try and talk you into giving it a try.

In your case, knowing a good alternative is good sense for clients or guests who use conicals.

Now, expanding broadheads, they are the Devil's tools. :rotf:

No need to apologize Gman. I've been here long enough to know who you are and how you hunt. I read the post and did not reply simply cause I know nothing about the subject and would never use it.

I didnt see you do anything wrong. I thought your original post was interesting. Even todays black powder is a huge step up from what was offered at the very beginning.

Still cant use PRB in colorado in the ol .45 so it looks like im going to use the same load.

I didn't see a problem with anything you posted. Actually I was going to ask some questions about that conical once I got a chance to look at it. Like is it a snug fit etc.

I aplaud you on your motives for the post and Stumpy for backing you. I know and hunt with guys who use inlines, and over the years have learned one thing about them. Criticize them and they'll turn you off. Help them with their problems and show them how to have fun with traditionals when they're ready, and you've made a convert and a friend. Dogs will come home when you kick them, but people stay away.

exactly. :bow:
I am in the process of buying a TVM Lancaster poor boy for one of my employees as a bonus who I taught how to hunt. He started out with a Encore 209x50. Now after two years of muzzleloading with two elk and a deer under his belt and much ribbing from the rest of us roundball huckers in camp he is moving on to better things.
I hunted for twenty years with cast bullets before I switched, so I can see both sides.

Kentuckywindage said:
Still cant use PRB in colorado in the ol .45 so it looks like im going to use the same load.
Silly isn't it.
Considering that a 45cal PRB has better ballistics and down range energy than a 44 mag.
I should draw a Buck tag next year after five years of trying and would love nothing better than to harvest it with my 45 cal TVM Tennessee flinter but am limited by the CO regs.
Oh well my 54 Leman will sure enough put the smack down.
:thumbsup:

You can see the dilemma the forum faces. We have a lot of very enthusiastic traditional shooters and this is their home. And it is specifically the reason we are all here. We get the occasional troll who comes along and bad mouths what they [incorrectly] believe are ineffective and wasteful hunting tools and for months the locals are stirred up and bite anything that moves. Then some poor "outsider" pops in and asks "So, how's them conicals shakin?" and catches a coffeepot upside the head and leaves thinking "those guys are mean snobs".

Last spring/summer (and periodically prior to that - like locusts) it got to the point we HAD to forbid modern m/l as we were all hopping mad and it poisioned the whole forum. It wasn't fun anymore.

If you look back you will see we try the "don't ask, don't tell" approach to what m/l you carry. The focus is traditional. That won't change.

It's harder than you would think to please everyone, and we know we can't, so we tend to please those who believe with us that traditional is what we are about here. Zealots on either side can be a problem. You look at this site and then realize there is one guy in charge who is paying to keep the lights on, three guys who volunteer to help for the fun of it and one on injured reserve as an advisor who keep 10,000 people mostly entertained.

Hay no worries,
I was taken a little aback at the immediate attack but I haven't been able to get on line as much as I would like because of the 300 inches of snow we have gotten since the first of Dec.I live off the grid and have to snowmobile in and out of my house. so I have fer sure been out of the loop and haven't been privy to the Trolls :bull:
They with out a doubt can be mean vindictive bastards.
When I first moved to CO in 1988 ML season was exposed hammer all lead projectile which was fine with me because that is what I hunted with.
As soon as Knight and company successfully :bull: their way into our regs and changed everything it pitted folk like me against well... it seemed like everybody. No kidding I have been witness to more than one scrap between the trad vs modern. It's a friggin shame that it all comes down to greed among a few rifle makers and their spokes persons.
And some misinformed newbies to the sport.
:thumbsup:

Hey GM,

Nice way to end this thing.

Hey Claude,

Hey guys,

Lets go and make some smoke and have some fun.

cptleo said:
Hey GM,

Hey Claude,

Hey guys,

Lets go and make some smoke and have some fun.

I'd love to make some smoke, bit i shot up all my powder :cursing: Stuff just doesnt last long!

Where is this forum headed? First I hear about cat poo on a popsickle stick, then a manure storm and now a urine spraying contest. If I didn't know better, I would think that this is a sanitation engineer forum! :rotf:

In all seriousness, I am with you guys. If you immediately berate someone, they will not forget it. If you welcome them into the fray, then show them the error of their ways, then you make a friend. That is, unless they are a numbskull like me....

I will NEVER EVER forgive you..................after my wife and I read your post, we started arguing about the mess you started. She broke a beer bottle over my head.........then she ran to her dads.....then he and I got into a fistfight in the front yard. After he beat me, he ran over my dog. I drove to his house and shot his dog (50 cal patched ball over 80 grains pyrodex)(note to self: don't shoot a black powder gun from the truck...to much smoke). Then the old man came back over her and set my house on fire. I am going outside in a minute to put out the fire, but I wanted you to write and let you know how much trouble and sorrow your post caused me.

nealglen37 said:
I will NEVER EVER forgive you..................after my wife and I read your post, we started arguing about the mess you started. She broke a beer bottle over my head.........then she ran to her dads.....then he and I got into a fistfight in the front yard. After he beat me, he ran over my dog. I drove to his house and shot his dog (50 cal patched ball over 80 grains pyrodex)(note to self: don't shoot a black powder gun from the truck...to much smoke). Then the old man came back over her and set my house on fire. I am going outside in a minute to put out the fire, but I wanted you to write and let you know how much trouble and sorrow your post caused me.

Just play the country record backwards and all will be right with the world again! :grin:

Back