• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

i broke my breech plug! :-(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexFolino

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well i was trying to take out my breech plug and the top nipple that you put the wrench on to turn it off literally snapped off cleanly. Now what do i do? I was trying to clean the gun by the way. Now ill assume the guy before me that had it probably did not put any anti seize on it. Can i still shoot the gun this weekend with that nipple being broken off in which i can take it to a gun smith after the season to have it removed or what should i do?

thanks
alex

Alex,

I for one, have no idea what you've broken. Maybe a photo or two would help??

On the back of the barrell. I went to unscrew the breech plug and the top of it that you put the wrench on snapped off. Now i can no get the breech plug out because of that.

Are you talking about the powder drum on the side of the barrel that the nipple screws into?

CVA 50cal flintlock. yes i believe there is a little tube part that screws in on the back of the barrell. I broke the little nipple off of it trying to unscrew it. Id post a pic but my camera is dead. I was trying to unscrew that to clean the gun. Can i still shoot the gun however?

I'm still confused trying to figure out just what you broke. There is no "nipple" on a flintlock and if it is a percussion rifle you won't be able shoot it with the nipple broken off. I would suggest taking the gun to a gunsmith and have him determine exactly what you need to do.

Its a flint lock. When you take the barrel out on the back of it there is a screw in style cylinder that goes in it. It has a little bolt type deal that is part of it that you would put a wrench on it and screw the cylinder in or out. Well when trying to screw it out that little bolt broke cleanly off the cylinder.

I'm wondering if it's a hooked breech, and he broke off the hook.

It looks like this little design here that i made. The red part that looks like a D is the part that broke off. Those lines are the cylinder piece

D

It could be a button breech, in any case I don't think I would shoot it until someone qualified looked at it.

Alex
To remove the barrel from the stock do you remove a wedge or pin up on the forearm and then rotate the barrel upwards unhooking a metal square at the rear?

If so, is it this metal square at the rear of the barrel that you were trying to turn when it broke off?

The thing I am trying to describe is the breech hook that hooks into the metal part at the rear of the barrel channel. It holds the rear of the barrel into the stock.

If the broken piece is what I'm describing, it would not be a good idea to shoot the gun while it is broken. The loose barrel may damage the stock or the shooter.

I know this is too late to do you much good, but it might help others who read this.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE BREECH PLUG ON A SIDE LOCK RIFLE.

The breech plug on these traditional rifles is not meant to be removed.

The only time removing the breech plug is appropriate is if you are building a gun and you understand exactly how to do it.
Once the gun is built, the breech plug should be considered to be a fixed part of the barrel to be removed only by a qualified gunsmith.

Factory Repair CVA cva.com
BPI Repair Dept.
5988 Peachtree Corners East
Norcross, GA 30071
770-449-4687
That is something that going to have to be repaired by CVA. Maybe warranty ??? call and talk to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you broke the hooked breech off. You need a gunsmith.

However, if you don't even know the parts of the gun, you need to put the gun away & go buy a book & do a lil studying before you take it out of the box again.

You need a book called the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. Read the book & learn about what you are doing, cause these firearms are dangerous.

If the rifle has a owners manual with it, read it. If it doesn't have a owners manual, get online & find one. Allot of manufacturers will let you download them for free.

Take it to a gunsmith & have it repaired by a professional.

Breech plugs on your type of rifle are designed to be installed, but not designed for removal for cleaning!

You wrenched it, and snapped off the button. It will now have to be drilled and easy outed.

That sucks! Now you have to pay for labor, and parts to fix it!

Deer creek may have the whole assembly in stock, and it may be cheaper?

I do know that the drum must be removed on a caplock before the breach plug can be removed. It has a very long 'stem', not sure how long the vent liner is, it may also be threaded into the plug.

Did you remove the vent liner?

I still dont know why one would want to remove a breech plug.
These are not CF rifles we dael with.
Totally different cleaning method.

Dont want to run you off, but rather teach you the methods!

Back