• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I did it after 5 years trying!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it's been one heck of a frustrating journey since I shot my first deer ever with a flintlock back in 2006. I decided to hit the woods again this morning after I got a Roy Stroh guarantee that I'd get one this weekend. That man's word is law!

The forest floor was wet this Thanksgiving morning in Indiana. It made a great day for still hunting. I came up on this deer around 8:40 this morning. He was facing me with his head down when I spotted him about 30 yards away from me. Then, he lifted his head and "spotted" me! I thought that was it, but he seemed interested and started walking towards me. I couldn't believe this, he wanted to get closer. I managed a "hunter's cock" with my shooting hand, but I didn't know how the heck I was going to get my rifle shouldered. Then, he quartered towards me and passed behind a tree and that allowed me to get my rifle up. As he emerged on the other side I got my shot. It was about 20 or 25 yards away when "Lady's Scorn" let loose a .570 ball on top of 60gr of FFg. The ball entered right behind the left shoulder breaking through a rib. It exited through the last rib on the opposite side of the deer.

Now, Roundball talks about whompability with a .58, but perhaps my lite load was too little to drop that deer in it's tracks. He trotted off about 60 yards with a blood trail that stopped after only 50ft or so. All the rest of the bleeding was internal. The left lung was ripped up pretty good.

In one of these photos is my 3.5yr old son, who was really excited about this deer. Here's the face of a future hunter and BP shooter. :grin:

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

Guys, thanks for putting up with my whining for the last 5 years during my "deer drought". :thumbsup:

Grats Trench! :hatsoff:
Now that the streak is broken you got no more worries. :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Congrats Trench! BP season starts Monday for and I'm hoping for my first flintlock buck. :hatsoff: Ed

trench, that is outstanding...to me, taking game with a Flintlock give me the greatest sense of satisfaction...congratulations !

:hatsoff:

Way to go Trench! :thumbsup:
Good on you for staying at it.
That shows a lot of character, A lot of people would have gave up when things did not go their way.
:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Roundball, thanks! I was hoping to be able to add to the whompability reputation of the .58, but I decided to download from 90gr to 60gr of FFg after I shot over the backs of two does a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit, I will flinch on occasion with the larger calibers as you increase the charge. I wanted to eliminate all possibility of shooting high this time around and went with my target load. Obviously, 60gr is more than adequate at these ranges, but it just doesn't whompify like the guys that shoot 100+ grains with their .58's. The damage was still there, but I got the feeling like my deer didn't even realize he was hit at first.

Swampy said:
Way to go Trench! Now you know why you missed that Doe earlier. Grats! :thumbsup:

I thought the same thing! It's that whole "When one door closes, another opens" mantra. :grin:

Back