• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I did it! I did it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally bought a flintlock. It is a Traditions Shenandoah. I know it is not absolutely P.C. but it was about all I could afford. As long as it does good as a hunting rifle I'll be happy. It has the 1 in 66" twist so I'll be shooting patched round balls.
Some interesting things happened when I picked it up.They had two of them, but the one didn't spark as well so I got the other one. They were going to harden the frizzen on that one. Also they took mine in the back and drilled something out which they said would help decrease hangfires and misfires.I'm pretty sure it wasn't the touchole either.I think it was something down by the breach of the barrel. Has anyone else ever heard of this being done?
Thank-You,
Fred

Congrats on getting a Real gun. :grin: If it wasn't the vent liner they drilled out the only other thing i can think of that it could be is the hole in the patent breech. But they would have to remove the breechplug to do that, so i kinda doubt it.

Congts. on your purchase. Give yourself time getting use to the flinter - what I mean is don't get discouraged if your accuracy isn't as good at first. It takes a bit to get use to.
As for drilling out to help misfires - the only thing I know of is the touch hole for this.
Please keep us informed of your progress - this forum is a good place to get answers to questions, don't hesitate to ask :hatsoff:

Welcome to the rank. Only real men shoot flinters. There is no turning back now. This is your first flinter of many more to come. Enjoy and welcome :hatsoff: .

Well congrats that's just GREAT!! :hatsoff:
Nobody will never forget their first flinter.
It's a different ballgame getting use to shooting but that is the fun part. As mentioned don't get discouraged and ask questions when you need. The only dumb question is the one that is never asked. The folks here will be more than glad to give you some advise.
So now that you have taken bait line and sinker keep us posted as to how you are doing.
And again welcome to the world of flintin' Nuttin like it :) :thumbsup:

Many congratulations! My first flinter was a Shenandoah I bought shortly after the company started up. It has been an enjoyable companion ever since. Also, I've found it to be accurate and reliable as long as I do my part. I bought it because it looked cool and was the most affordable assembled flinter I could find at the time. I hope you get the years of fun from it that I have had.

Jeff

Flinter987 sayed " but it was about all I could afford.""""" congrats on gettin a flintlock! you'll love it! so much in fact,you'll be amazed at what you can afford on the next one....and trust me..there will be a next one....and that one won't be the last! welcome to F.L.A. yer officially an addict! ENJOY! :thumbsup: RC

Congratulations Flinter.
If I can say only one thing, it would be,
GOEX,GOEX,GOEX.
Use real black powder and you will be fine.
The imitation powders just wont work in a Flintlock. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new rock lock ... use black powder in it, & NOT the fake stuff, and shoot the h%ll out of it! We all start somewhar ... go for it amigo! :hatsoff:

Davy

Yes, I bought some Goex while I was at the shop.
I got some 4f for priming and 2f for the main charge. I had some pyrodex pistol powder laying around so I tried it in the pan just for the hang of it. THE STUFF DID NOT WORK WELL. It sizzled instead of flashed. It fouled up my pan faster, and it threw
burning granules onto my arm! I think I'll keep it in my pistol! :) What is the best way to post pictures on this forum?
Fred

Congrats for the flinter and now being a real man. In 2 weeks I'll get my Lyman Hawken flinter. then I'll be a real man, too.

Greetings from Germany

Congrats on the new Flinter! My first one was a Shennandoah also! Nice rifle for the $$$
Mine shot very well with 80-100 FFF.
They probably drilled out your touch hole for better ignition....
Enjoy! Shoot as much as you can....and let us know how you like it!!!

welcome.jpg

Congratulations!

I myself just became an 'Esteemed brother in arms of the rock lock fraternity' back in January this year. The boys here helped me out immensely! If your experience is like mine ... I have YET to shoot any other firearm I own, as I am having such a blast (pun intended) with my flintlock!

Good going I just built my first rock lock and now the fun begins of getting good with it. This meen I get to play with it as much as posable. F.K. :thumbsup:

Well you got a lot "more than you can afford"

You got

a new gun

a new sport

a new family

I think you made a pretty good investment

WELCOME ABOARD

Good on you Flinter- I've done the same thing bought a 32 cal Pedersoli Alamo flintlock unfortunately I have still a few weeks to wait before my "Permit to Acquire" turns up.Cant get the gun till I recieve that :cursing: cheers zodd

Back