• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I DID IT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after lots of thinking, researching, asking questions, I finally decided on the rifle I wanted to get. I settled on a Traditions PA Flintlocker. I went to my gunshop today and ordered one, so hopefully just a 7 day wait for the order to come in. So now I join the ranks of Flintlockers.

well you done gone and dunit now.
you know those flinters are contagious. wont be no time at all you'll be dressin in skins and droolin over sharp rocks. :winking:
seriously you wont regret it.sure puts the fun back in shootin.

welcome to the real world, where shooting is fun. i believe that there aa very few things that a man (or woman) should know how to do. somewhere between working a manual transmission and properly stacking firewood is how to properly set a piece of flint in a cock.

i have, over the years, launched countless thousands of rounds at targerts of all sorts and shapes- some good, some not so good. the vast majority were shot through a centerfire rifle. then i saw the light.

there is an irresistable and inneffable quality about the style, rythim and feel of launching pure lead the 'old fasioned' way.

you're gonna have a great time.

MSW

Hi,
That is funny, I came to the same conclusion. I got mine back in the first part of December.
I have yet to get spark. Been through three flints, no spark.
Emailed the company, told me to contact Traditions. I have emailed three times and so far no response at all, none, nada, zip. I am a very unhappy person.
I should add that I had a veteren flinter of 30 or so years help me to try to get spark. He thinks they didn't harden the frizzen.

Well done Paco! :hatsoff:

Please post a report when you'll receive your weapon, I am thinking going this way too.

Regards,
Manny

There is no excuse for a company to send you a frizzen that isn't hardened. But, before you have a coronary, why not harden it yourself? Find an auto or machine shop that has an acetylene torch, take the frizzen to them, with a magnate, and have them heat it up. Hold the magnet with pliers, or vise grips, while someone else heats the frizzen up with the torch. When a magnate will not attract the frizzen, it is ready to quench. Quench in oil, and not water. Yes, it can flame up on you so have a metal cover to close of air to the oil if it should flare up. A garbage can lid works, even if the oil is in a smaller container. Then take your frizzen home, wire brush off the oxide on the surface, and put the frizzen on a cookie sheet in your oven at 450 degrees for 2 hours. Then let it cool down over nite in the oven by simply turning the oven off. Try the frizzen the next day. It should spark. Then you can clean it off, brown it, or blue it, or leave it in the white. I like to heat blue mine, but I have plum browned a frizzen or two in my day. To heat blue, just use an acetylene torch to heat the frizzen up until it turns blue. Then remove the heat and let it cool down again. Oil it, and you are done. If you spray the frizzen with oil while it is red hot, you get a black oxide that some like. You get a lighter grey/black if the metal is just over 400 degrees and you spray it with oil.

Back