• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Did Something I Haven't Done in a Long Time. Uh-Oh!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Yep, I did it. I dry-balled one. I am pretty careful at this and don't even talk with anyone during the loading process. The distraction came as I was at a public range and everyone was shooting those rifles with no color except me. Worse still the renegade next to me was not abiding by the 6 shot limit rule at this range by a HUGE margin (no range officer). I don't confront these jaspers as it could lead to something more serious. Yes, I could have left but that would have been an even bigger inconvenience.
Anyway, because I was miffed, I lost my concentration and after ramming the ball I looked down to see my powder measure laying where I filled it. I checked and it still had a full load in it. RATS!! It's been years since I've done that. I wasn't even going to try and pull it as I've never been successful at it. So true to forum advice I took out the nipple and got some 4F down the flash channel but only got a sound slightly louder than the cap. Pulled the nipple again and got my 3F flask and kept filling the hole and smacking the side opposite the lock to get more and more powder down the channel. I kept doing this until the channel wouldn't take any more. Before shooting i checked that the ball was still seated and that load went off with a HUGE crack! Problem solved and yes, I learned another lesson that day. When miffed, stand back and get my composure.

Back