• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I finally did it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last night while at a club shoot I was busy :bull:ing with the guys while loading my rifle and did something I swore I'd never do. I dry balled a load!

Thank goodness one of the guys had one of those Co2 jobbies! I really didn't feel up to removing it the old fashioned way.

I guess it can happen to anyone!

I don't want to jinx myself (knock wood here), but I'm still waiting on my first dryball.

Glad to hear yours was an easy one. Did the guys give you much of a hard time? :haha:

As many have said here before and will continue to say for years to come - There are two kinds of muzzleloader shooters: those who have dry balled, and those who will dry ball.

Welcome to the club :surrender: !!!

I made it a half century before doing it on my 50th birthday. Get a CO2 discharger. You'll be suprized at how much it gets used. GW

Otter said:
As many have said here before and will continue to say for years to come - There are two kinds of muzzleloader shooters: those who have dry balled, and those who will dry ball.

Three kind's; you forgot those that LIE!

Santa Clause,Tooth Fairy,Those that have never "Dry Loaded", Easter bunny,Leprechaun...... :hmm: :grin:

Well, besides that I already joined the "Dryball-Club"... :shocked2: (It´s very easy to join when you´re shooting at a public range and people disturb you by asking about ML or whatever while you´re loading... :redface: )

There are several other reasons to pull a ball. Hunting and regulations that force you to transport your gun home unloaded - like it is here in Germany.
Other things as well like a charge that won´t ignite for whatever reason.

I´m thinking at the moment about getting one of those CO2 unloaders. :hmm: Seems to be safer to me or to put it in other words: I´d feel better not to work in front of the muzzle. :wink: Still trying to figure out which one might be the best for my needs. :surrender:

Yeah, it's especially embarrasing when you don't have the materials needed to get the ball out and have to wait on a friend who was coming to shoot, and wait, and wait, and wait. :redface:

Of course, being the lawyer that I am, I'm not confessing here. I'm just saying I know about this guy... :hmm:

I do believe the next day there was an order out for a ball puller, patch puller and other odd sundries of the trade. :haha:

The Doc is out now. :v

MY first dry ball happened when I was 55 or so :confused: . The really bad part is, "BOTH" times I was shooting by myself.....:redface: :( :shake:

Ya know, I can't remember how many times I have dry balled a rifle in my more than 40 years of muzzleloading. Even if I could remember I wouldn't tell on myself. Suffice it to say, I have done it enough that I now know how to safely remove a ball when I am alone using the old fashioned screw ball puller. My ramrod has a hole through the tip for holding a patch when cleaning. The other end has a screw fitting where I can scrrew on the ball puller. I screw the ball puller inbto the ball securely, tie a strong cord through the loop and hang it onto a limb. Then I just grab the butt of the rifle and pull the ball out. I am never in front of the loaded rifle except to screw in the ball puller.

Don't feel too bad. I'm new to muzzleloading (2 months) and I have dry balled twice.

When I'm showing a person new to muzzleloading how to use the gun, I purposely have them dryball and show them how to remove it. I may do it a couple of times. They have seen it, know how to recognize it (gun won't go off: mark on the ramrod doesn't line up) and have cleared it. They then know that they don't want to do it again so they will take care in loading from then on.

necchi said:
Otter said:

Three kinds; you forgot those that LIE!

Still only two. Lying doesn't change the facts. :wink:

I'm jus glad ya finally got over that "I'm the Booshway" thing and started shootin again like a normal............... :hmm: ... :confused: regular... :hmm: .. :confused: .. like ya should be...again... :wink:

was Zackly wit ya??? :blah:

Last edited by a moderator:
:doh: just when you thought you could walk on water, someone tells you where the stones are in the lake. shows we are all human and prone to mistakes. (my turn will come too!!!)

Welcome to the HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRY-BALLERS! :applause: You are only the latest- NEW-- member. :cursing: I say that because you can expect to REJOIN the club several times over your lifetime of loading MLers. :nono: It gets easier and easier to accept the fact that you are mortal, and the more often this happens, the better your blood pressure will be! :shocked2: :redface:

The most common reason for this lapse in mental judgment is being interrupted by other shooters, family, or friends while loading your gun. I tell people to GO AWAY when I am loading so that I don't lose my concentration or the place I am at in the loading procedure. Some people get hurt feelings about this, but when they understand the problems they cause by interrupting a shooter loading his gun, they stop doing it, and wait for the shooter to finish.

I consider it to be akin to waitresses interrupting your conversation( rude), or waiting until you have just taken a bite to eat, and have your mouth full( totally rude and ridiculous) to ask you, " How is everything?? Can I get you anything else??" They have no idea how close I have come to simply spitting my food out at them, and then answering their questions! Its the quickest way for any waiter or waitress to see their tip diminish- and I am a good tipper.

I have grown to be very intolerant of the " Interruptors " at the gun ranges. I have never dry balled my gun loading it in the hunting fields, where I am generally alone. Its not a side of me I like to visit too often, and that makes me even more short with them. I once asked, " What part of "GO" don't you understand??" Without looking up from my gun. When I had my PRB down the barrel, and seated on the powder, I looked up and they were finally gone. The guys next to me were all smiles. :grin:

Save yourself. No one else is likely to be around to do it for you. :hmm:

Shooting your ramrod is next on the list. Took me near 40 years, but I finally got around to the dirty deed awhile back. :redface:

Did ya ever notice, aint nothin funny about a dryball, but if there are ml shooters around they giggle like little girls. and you never live it down, :redface: its all in good fun. The best part is the look on the loaders face when they figure out what they did :rotf: :rotf: :v

Back