• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have a problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowell

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I built my first rifle in 1977. Started hunting seriously in 1993.
My current rifles are as follows:
50 cal Sidelock 1:66
50 cal sidelock 1:24

My problem is that I keep going to Gunbroker and looking at rifles. In fact I have one on my watch list that closes tomorrow. A 50 cal sidelock 1:48 twist.
I don't shoot paper, only hunt. I don't think that I need another rifle. Do I? I think it is just a mental problem that I am looking for a cure.

I don't get it?
What's the problem?

Oohh, I see after reading it again, you have two of the un-mentionable guns, :td: :doh:

Lowell said:
50 cal inline 1:28
45 cal inline 1:20

:nono: :td:

sell the above new fangeled devices and buy more real guns.

sounds like you still need a smooth bore and at least one pistol. i recomend at least one of these be a flintlock if you dont already have one.

I have the same problem. I found a Thompson Center New Englander bored out to 58 cal. on GunBroker yesterday and I really want to get it. Problem is how without the wife knowing? :confused:

phoenix113 said:
I have the same problem. I found a Thompson Center New Englander bored out to 58 cal. on GunBroker yesterday and I really want to get it. Problem is how without the wife knowing? :confused:

Have it shipped to your buddy's house and wait till wife is gone to bring it home. Or have someone call your wife and tell her you won a gun in the raffle and you need to come pick it up. How can she get upset with what ya get for $1 raffle ticket?

Lowell said:
My current rifles are as follows:
50 cal Sidelock 1:66
50 cal sidelock 1:24

I don't think that I need another rifle.

My answer to your question is that you might well "want" another rifle, but from a hunting POV, with the 2 .50's you listed above, a 3rd one simply being in 1:48" twist wouldn't add any value that I could see.

From a hunting POV, I'd suggest you might want to start thinking about getting a smoothbore...unless you hunt where there is no small game, a smoothbore opens up a whole additional world of hunting possibilities and enjoyment.
.62cal(.20ga) or .54cal(.28ga) are a couple favorites

phoenix113 said:

Repeat after me: Honey I bought this rifle for you cause you are so important to me,,now we can share more time at the range!!!!( birthday/Anniversary/just because)

I don't think that I need another rifle. Do I?

Are you nuts? :shocked2:
Of course you need another rifle. You always need another rifle. :wink:
My new guns are sorta snuck into the house. Later (doesn't matter, day or year) if wife sees it and asks, I just say "Oh, I've had that for a while." I never tell her how long that "while" has been. :)

Yeh....If you don't have a flintlock....You got a serious problem. Caplock rifles, just make you want a Flintlock and then.......Hmmmmm

Listen to Rifleman; you need more guns. A smoothbore as rb suggested, a small bore squirrel rifle, a larger bore flint deer rifle and a couple of .36 and .40 and a .45. Don't forget the flint pistol. :grin:

I would side with everyone who said that you absolutely DO NEED another gun. Having said that, I'm not sure I would get another .50, but one of three options: go small like a .32 or .36 for small game; bigger like a .54+ for big game; or as has been mentioned, a smoothbore due to the versatility. Just make sure they are traditional and not the newfangled plastic thingamajigs.

Try my approach...2 gun cases go out of the house but 3 come back in! It took my wife a while to catch on to that trick.

Back