• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to make a confession!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought a 12" cast iron skillet for home, now if i can convince my wife to stop scrubbing it after each use!

WOW
I had the same problem, I bought a 15" inch low wall (1/4") gridle at a garage sale, it was new never used for 3 bucks Canadian (that's about 30 cents yank right?) Any ways she kept scrubbing it. I got peed, so I took it outside, placed pig fat on the plate section and let it sit for 4 days, in the hot sun (stunk to high heaven & the coons kept getting into it). Then I wiped it off filled it with lard and placed on a fire for over 20 hours. She was repulsed!!! Now she wouldn't cook with it even if you offered her a million bucks Canuck (about 30 bucks Yank) :crackup:. I cook with it, so I clean it with fresh water... There problem solved...
Loyalist Dawg :results: :hatsoff:

You can get a 12" shallow at Walmart for ~$35. It is a Lodge, made in the US. Very cost-effective, I think Lodge uses them to create addicts. All other Lodges are (relatively) more expensive (i.e. 8" costs $32)

Well Cookie! I thought I had a bunch!

one dutch oven
four camp dutch ovens one which is very old 1800's
five skillets, largest is the griswold "monster"
one large iron cooking grate
one double sided griddle large
fajita pans five each
2 other small iron skillets

The number 8 skillet I cook with most was found in a cabin dirt floor. I restored it perfectly!

I am also into steel pans as well! I really like the ones named "Never Break" I have about 5 of those, and one is giant!

I went crazy for awhile, so crazy I had to build racks outside to hole the extra! ::

I ony use cast iron, and the old steel pans for all my cooking! To me all the other stuff is just manure!

Cast iron!!! From the oven to the stove, from the stove to the oven!

If you don't have any, try the old stamped steel pans I speak of. They are great for tossing grilled veggies and such!

To this day, I am the only one who cleans the cast iron. Only warm water and a scrub brush! Cast Iron is the real truly non stick cookware! The steel pans will act the same was as well!

Mule

Oh I forgot a couple more pans in my sandblast cabinet ::

Here is my old 14! the dual gate marks on the lid put this oven to be pretty early!

oldoven.jpg

oldoven5.jpg

i bought a 12" cast iron skillet for home, now if i can convince my wife to stop scrubbing it after each use!

As long as she does't use soap, it is ok. I use a seperate brush for cast iron only. Scrub, rinse and add a light coat of oil. Done!

I alway see folks scrubbing the hell out of cast iron with soap, sos pads, you name it! They just need to learn how to take care of it properly.

I can hear them!!!! God everything sticks to this iron manure :haha: Yeh that is true if you breakdown the seasoning with soap!

Treat it right, and it will outlast your whole family! No cookware made can hold up as well period!

Actually, SOAP is OK. It's the detergents that will do you in.

I scrub my pots with a brush, with just plain water to clean the crud off. Then I wash them with soap and my hands to cut the grease (which can turn rancid), after which I put a light coating of olive oil on them.

I've had food poisoning twice in my life. The second time put me in the emergency room. That's enough.

Home use also, I have a pot w/legs and lid (pot not DO) that is camp only, but DO with handle is used in home for much (can't be beat 4 deep fry, but I put it on my grill side burner to keep smell/clean-up to a minimum). Learned the hard way that any tomato sauce (acidic) will harm the seasoning on cast iron pot/pans, DO's.

Back