• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to make a confession!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am a Cast iron addict :crackup: :haha:

got your attention didnt I :haha:

I couldnt leave my cast iron in a trailer because I would be forever getting into it to get something out...

I currently have 8 camp dutchs, 2 kitchen dutchs and a potjie, and 5 or 6 frypans. I use all of them on a pretty regular basis, Except maybe the 16 incher, usually only the 10 and 12 inch camp dutch ovens, and a couple of frypans go to the rendezvous, but we quite often cook in them out the back door (the dutch ovens) or my family gets together to have a dutch oven get together, they are alot of fun...

The question is: Do you use your cast iron just for camping, or do you have cookouts/cookoffs at home as well..

Shoot,I use my cast iron pans to cook with pretty much every day.You can use the smooth bottom pans on those new ceramic top electric stoves if you are careful.(Though "they" tell you you can't..)

10" griddle, skillet and 5 qt pot are sitting on the stove as a perminant fixture.

4 dutch ovens are stacked by the door.

There is more in other places but I lose track of all of it.

I grew up with cast iron as part of the kitchen. It's just there.

:front:

Got my first dutch oven just last week. Been to Montreal and back so haven't had a chance to cook with it yet. Have 5 cast skillets of various sizes and one 6 quart pot with cover. Does anyone know where to get cranberries this early in the season? Our stores ran out in the late winter and we haven't seen them since. I put a bag of berries, a couple onions and some red pepper in the big pot with 10 chicken drumsticks and let it stew. My last picky eater is fighting me for the drum sticks :) GC

I have:

45 gallon cauldron (with original stand)
8 gal. " (w/hinged bail)
5 "
2 "
1 "
and a 1/2 gallon.

Skillets are 10, 11 and 12". The latter 2 have lids.

I also have a 16 (w/hinged bail), 12 (w/lid) and an 8" dutch oven.

All of these have been in the family for over 150 years. A few of them have the maker's mark "DT" near the sprue.

Pare-

Got my first dutch oven just last week

Pssst GunCobbler, did anyone tell you those things multiply when your not lookin, they do, they really do, just look at my stack and I started out with a little ole 10 inch dutch.. and NO frypans :haha: :haha:

What NO WOK?

My wifey sez the one I got her is just like granny used to use. Granny's fried rice sure is good, better in the cast iron, than the new fangled non-stick wok she has.

8 camp dutch ovens? Geez, are you cooking for a platoon or is a multi-course meal normal around your tent?

I learned from the finest - Max Vickery. Always carry a spoon and show up around chow time. Max never went away hungry. He met one guy who invited him to chow. The guy said he was warned about Max mooching his meals. Max said that he heard of the guy too and didn't think much of the guy at times. After they ate, the guy asked Max his name. At that point, Max introduced himself. :haha:

Hi Cookie - Have the same problem with guns. Stack them a little too close together and before you know it theres a little flinter in the case :) Not sure at all if nesting cast iron pots is a good idea.... GC

Geez, are you cooking for a platoon or is a multi-course meal normal around your tent?

Close Gary, my family and when all are asembled there is 20+ along with the moochers you speak of :haha: I only take two when we go to the rendezvous, the rest I use at home... My dad and I have had a friendly competition going on who's stack is hightest... I think right now I am in the lead... :haha:

Gun Cobbler, I hear ya, Never owned a gun in my 41 year (started 3 years ago) the first to arrive on the scene was a beautiful great plains, for a lefty. Then of course a pistol came along...and the last it took the longest to birth, took me a full year to get that one into the family, beautiful Isaac Haines Lefty, started it in my 43 year and finished it in my 44th year. Now, I have never heard tell of two percussions producing a flinty, but one never knows do they, stranger things have happend...Although I do feel there might soon be a new pistol kit coming on the scene... and these are just mine :crackup:

12" cast iron skillet is the ONLY way to cook cornbread, and nothing tastes better than a dutch oven cobbler when "pass the dish" time comes.

Cast iron skillets, makes the best fried potatoes on the planet...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hi Cookie
Yea we do also. Almost evry day we use our cast iron frying pans for breaky or supper. My boys and I also have at least once a month a theme dinner. Usally in the winter we have a couple mountain man dinners on the open fire, digging a hole in the snow and placing the fire in the middle. During the rest of the year I fire up the back yard fire pit. We cook on cast frying pans, cast flat grills, an of course our two dutch ovens. We also bake muffins by placing a four spot muffin tin inside the dutchy (I bent the corners up so the square muffin tin fits in it). The boys love it and they would call their friends to come over every time if I would let'em...
:thumbsup:Best regards Loyalist Dawg... :hatsoff:

Thats all my wife uses at home.
We have cast iron: Skillets, griddles, muffin tins, wok, dutch ovens, stew pots, and even cast iron bread pans and pizza tray. Cast iron tea pot (lined)and another big one on the wood stove.
Usually only carry 1 or 2 dutch ovens and a frying pan to camp.

I use my cast fry pans all the time at home, and use my three DO's in the yard. I am fortunate to have a wife who doesn't mind a fire ring and permanent burned spot in the back yard.

A frind of mine went to a rondy, and watched a man unload cast iron for an hour! Thought he was a trader, so he went over to see just what he had. Nope, just his wifes stuff, clouded up, looked like rain, so he spent two hours putting everything up!

Now for a question? where to find those shawllow dutch ovens, need a 12". Cast Iron. Saw one on a cooking show, said it was better for pies, my favorite!

Hi Big D, I am only "allowed" :haha: to take two dutchs...actually thats all we can fit in the pickup, we get our whole camp in the back of a tiny pickup...

now if you want a 12 inch shallow by all means buy one... but honestly I prefer to use the deeper ones for pies...I put a trivet in the bottom and raise them up, better air circulations, now biscuits you NEED the shallow one...

Lodge has a 12 inch shallow, just remember those black pots multiply really quick so dont let them out of your site :crackup: I started with one and now well we wont go into that again. :haha: :haha:

Well,to further add to the "confessions",as well as my pile of cast iron,I found a #9 Wagner skillet and a same sized Griswald,with a lid,at a church rummage sale.All for 2 dollars...sure hope a bargin ain't a sin.

A twelve inch skillet can make enough sauce to douse four pounds of spagetti. You can chuck it in the oven with a big enough roast to feed 20. Six over easy eggs you want? OK!

You can't say enough about these pans. You can get almost a gallon of chili out of one.

Back