• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I hope I have not ruined my muzzloader?Help!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't believe everything you read...... When someone is trying to sell you something....

Not only can you make those products yourself...and better but cheaper....

But they still need to be used correctly.

Ron, That traditions barrel probably came blued on the inside.
If it's only been 2 weeks, chances are all the barrel needs is a good cleaning.....
No need for bore paste yet ....hopefully.

Thank you. I will take the soap and water to it tomorrow after I get home from work. Would it hurt to take a soapy/wet brass 20 gauge bore brush to it to work out any left over rust?

I will encourage you to use a brush but I would use the right one for the bore. Sometimes brushes get stuck. If yours does twist it clock wise and it will bend the bristles and it will come out.

that brass bore brush shouldn't hurt a thing. just get it to a point that it [the patch's] come out as clean as you shoved em in. I never use anything but cool water with just a drop of dish washing soap. then I pump this magic solution thru till I get nuttin but clean white patch's every time. then I run clean dry patch's till no moisture comes out on em. then I spray liberally with Rem oil till the whole thing drips inside n out. lock, stock and barrel ... inside n out.

next I run a clean patch thru the bore to remove most of the oil then wipe down the whole rifle with a nice soft cotton cloth ... the metal and wood alike will love this oil treatment and keep everything fresh till ya want to go shootin again.

have fun with yer new shootin iron and keep it simple yet effective.

If you stick a 20 gauge brush down a .50cal muzzleloader, Someone should "bonk" you on the head.... :slap:
You'll get it stuck...probably break it off too.
There's no need to use a brush if your shooting PRB's

We disagree with the need for a brush. I use Paper Patched bullets and I don't get lead either but. I think that fouling can get stuck in the rifling's Using a proper brush will never hurt so I use them for full cleaning back at home.

Thank you. I will take the soap and water to it tomorrow after I get home from work. Would it hurt to take a soapy/wet brass 20 gauge bore brush to it to work out any left over rust?

Well, that's what he wants to shove down the barrel.... :youcrazy:

I'm still against using a brush...but make sure it's not one of the cheap crimped on ones that like to come loose.
Before you put that brush down the barrel.....make sure you have a good plan for getting it out if it gets stuck or breaks...

Yes I do. I was fairly certain that I could get some REAL truths here once I saw what I had done. My wife was even upset about the rusty barrel as she just enjoys going with me when I shoot it. Just wish I had checked with you all before spending the money with DGW on these cleaning "miracles". :doh:

CC, Roger that sir. I only plan on using a brush this time. After that I will not during regular soap and water cleaning. You guys have eased my mind a lot. I really thought my barrel was toast.I was literally sick to my stomach. I NEVER treat my firearms this way. I am embarrassed. :redface:

Back