• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I just aquired a 58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barrel is 32".
Thanks…The 43.25”, 1:70TW, Green Mountain barrel on my Kibler generates average velocity of 1420FPS with 80gr FFFG. Seems consistent with your data, given an off-set of my load of 5gr less powder, +11” of barrel length.
I found 80gr FFFG to be the accuracy sweet spot with my rifle.
52A9E107-C9EA-49A3-B186-02C3528C4B9E.jpegA3EE22FC-50F0-4686-995D-C7DD93326985.jpeg

I just aquired a 58 cal. Green mnt . T/c renegade with an l and r lock . What should I start shooting for a load?. How far should I start from? I have been reading a lot and from what I can see is most start with 80 gr of 3f at 25 yards . But I wanted to get some input from more seasoned . From what I was told twist is 1 in 70.
120 grs 2F Hornady 570 RB

I just aquired a 58 cal. Green mnt . T/c renegade with an l and r lock . What should I start shooting for a load?. How far should I start from? I have been reading a lot and from what I can see is most start with 80 gr of 3f at 25 yards . But I wanted to get some input from more seasoned . From what I was told twist is 1 in 70.
Might want to trade the 3F off for 2F in the 58 cal patched ball rifling although 3F will work but I feel the 2f is better suited to the bore diameter. My load guess would be nearly 100 grains or so for a patched ball hunting but for target probably in the 75-80 grain range will give good results.

While I would use the charge weight that gave me the best accuracy in my 58, if a lower charge weight gives good results, I have no issue using it for hunting if using a PLRB. I did some load testing and found that the velocity/energy/trajectory difference between an 80gr and 100gr load shrinks dramatically as the range exceeds 50 yards. I think improvement of the heavier charge may not be worth the added recoil and powder consumption. I doubt that game shot at 100 yards could tell the difference. IMO.
AF6EFBF9-12E4-435C-865F-FE2E565300DC.jpeg

Back