• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need ideas for a horn strap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Scott made me this amazing horn.

P5290168.jpg

P5290170.jpg

P5290171.jpg

I need ideas for a strap. Leather? Woven?
I have several yards of 1/8 inch leather strap. I thought of braiding it.

Ideas please! This horn needs a strap that will compliment it without detracting from it's beauty.

HD

I like the idea of a braided strap, but would use lacing leather that is narrower, attached, perhaps, to a short wide strap such as you have, to go through that staple. The other end needs to be narrow enough to fit that small groove at the neck. You can either tie a loop, or split a wider strip down the center, to provide a tight, STRETCHED fit over the neck to hold the groove. My thong, made of lace, was "Flattened" at the end to allow a slit to be cut in it, long enough to allow me to loop the rest of the thong through it.

I have always been fascinated by the " Art Horns" that people carve. This is truly one of the best I have seen, and you are very lucky to have it. :hatsoff:

ah, it's gotta be a fish scale carved leather strap. Unless, of course, you want PC...

Ya mean Scott didn't even give you a stringer for your catch!!! :cursing:

OK! .... Got that out of the way!

I think a braintanned and trade wool with NW style beading on it would look great! Wampum, Cowries ???? :hmm:

horner75 said:
I think a braintanned and trade wool with NW style beading on it would look great! Wampum, Cowries ???? :hmm:

Do you have any examples that you could show?

HD

I would go with a button blanket look.
button_blanket_J.A.jpg

Maybe red wool with the MoP zig zag and border.

I would go with a finger woven strap, black and red, interwoven with small glass beads. It would fit the horn, plus be PC...

Rick, If'n I had made more than one fish, then a stringer would have been appropriate. :wink:
Scott

That is an incredible horn! I may have to try something like it one day. I made a leather drinking flask for my son once, it was a killer whale with the tail as the cork. this horn is truly a work of art!
Kirby

I have made either the finger woven strap or one woven on a tape loom. Both look good to me. I would think that the tape loom in natural hemp and red dyed hemp would look very good. I do like the idea of a finger woven strap with the beads woven in though.

Horns.jpg

Yeah, finger weaving isn't real NW Coast, but button blankets are. I'm thinking a wide strap with swallow tail ends, and the MoP zig zag would be right in style with the horn. :grin:

Back