• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need to know about preshipping powder and possibles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyblu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im going to be hunting in wash. this month and i know we cant take powder on airlines and was thinking i could pre ship powder and possibles to my friends house so i'd have everything at that end when i get there ....is this a good idea or not.

You can, I've done it, and found it a better idea to get the powder at the destination.

Know anyone that loads ammo?
You CAN have ammunition in your luggage. Just load 45-70 or another large capacity with BP, press a bullet in the end and take it apart when you git there.
Or Pay UPS the hazmat fee and send your stuff out there ahead of time, $$spendy though,,

You might call ahead and see if there is somewhere local that you can buy powder at. Even if it is overpriced, it will be less hassle and expense than shipping or smuggling it.

Black powder cannot be airshipped in any form including loaded cartridges. This was just researched on the Accurate reloading forum.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.ebdc7a8a7e39f2e55cf2031050248a0c/?vgnextoid=aa25568e776f4110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextchannel=aa8cd3c1af814110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextfmt=print

Contact the folks you will be hunting with and find a local ML club. I'll bet a member will "loan" you some powder. Lots easier, and cheaper than shipping it.
Mark

Well, that letter is from 11 years ago.

My info came 1st hand from a guy that works TSA (airport security guy?) two weeks ago.
But best be safe than sorry, TY for the link.

I guess in reality I don't fly. If I was to book a hunt and fly in for it, I guess I'd send my powder out to the outfitter United Postal Service an be done with it.

The TSA would be right if it was smokeless cartridges.

Black powder is classified as an explosive
Smokeless powder is classified as a flamable.

limited quanities of smokeless powder cartridges is allowed by air. NO blackpowder at all.

Plus I dont think UPS will accept blackpowder from anyone that is not a registered Hazmat shipper, even for ground shipping.

And I know the post office will not.

I'm planning on flying to Georgia in October for some deer hunting with my daughter. I plan on checking my rifle on the plane, but there's no way I'm going to sneak some blackpowder on the plane, or send it through the mail. I doubt if I can find real blackpowder at a retail store on such short notice, so I'm content in settling for using a locally bought powder substitute. Just hope we can get some practice time in if we're stuck with the subs.

Maybe someone in the Atlanta area can "trade" for some real blackpowder. :wink: Seriously, .530, .535, .575 home cast balls? Some pure lead? A young lady's smile? Will trade for powder. Bill

I think that tapping into the vast membership on this forum may be a very good way to have BP waiting for you on a fly in hunt just don't make the thing into a "sale" of any kind to avoid violation of Fed and state laws, lots of ways to work around this just do not leave a "paper trail" of emails and such on how things will be "evened out" in the end.

tg said:
I think that tapping into the vast membership on this forum may be a very good way to have BP waiting for you on a fly in hunt

Yep, I just got a PT from a member who told me exactly where I could find some blackpowder on my up coming hunt in Georgia. Good people here. Thanks Armakiller! :thumbsup: Bill

Back