• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I think it's finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work Goldhunter!! You gotta be proud taking that to the range.....

Whose kit is it?

sorry for the long delay. Connectivity is horrible right now.

It's the Dickert Kit from Pecatonica River with a couple mods (like the side plate that I ordered from MBS and the toe plate I cut out).

thanks!!

Well, I've finished my rifle to the extent I want it. I finished the barrel and added a Dickert style domed brass patch box.

The barrel was browned using LMF browning solution. The picture really doesn't show it very well, but it turned out a dark chocolate brown that I really like.
P2070018.jpg

I made a new front sight (because I didn't like the other and I wanted to try making one)
P2070020.jpg

And here is the patch box.
P2070016.jpg

P2070023.jpg

Add, finally, here it is with it's older brothers. I hope they can play well together (I see myself taking the new one out more).
P2070032.jpg

Excellent work! What did you use to stain the stock? I am working on one and really love the color yours came out.

As for your little trip coming up....been there the first time around (1992)...so from one to another...keep your head down and watch over your buddies and they'll watch over you. Keep safe!

Put the bevel side up on that flint. As you have now mounted it, it is striking the frizzen way too high up on the face, and too square to the face to do anything but gouge a groove into the frizzen. You want to scrape steel bits off the face in a long sweep, throwing the bits into the pan full of powder. If you do get sparks with the current set-up, they will merely roll down the face of the frizzen, and may actually extinguish before they reach your prime.

The stock is a mix of LMF maple and nut brown. I put one on, let it dry, rubbed it back a bit, then put the other on. I think I put the nut brown on first.

Paul, thanks. I apparently put the flint in backwards when I was playing around yesterday. It normally is bevel down.

Goldhunter: You are welcome. Its a very nicely made rifle. I am sure that you take great pride in it. :thumbsup:

Very nice rifle and good job on it. I have a teeny little suggestion which will be easy to do. I always had my screw slots aligned north and south. The tang screw was inline with the barrel, the buttplate screws were inline with the barrel and the rear one lined up and down.

It's easy to do and gives that little extra.

Goldhunter said:
Add, finally, here it is with it's older brothers. I hope they can play well together (I see myself taking the new one out more).
P2070032.jpg

Very nice! I have a question though, is that a hammer stall tied to the caplock rather than to the flint?

Reddoge, Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do that this summer. That's the final touch up, I think. It was kind of bugging me when I finished the patch box. I got the tang screw to line up perfect, but the butt plate screws not quite. I also got the toe plate lined up pretty well.

Back