• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want a Flintlock so bad now!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider2000

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sunday as I was verrifying my rifles POI/POA for this weekend a friend that I haven't seen in a while brought out his Lyman GPR Flinter & let me shoot it. :bow:

Now I haven't shot a Flintlock in about 10 years & man is that a sweet experience, I want one now.

Problem is though is convincing Moma tolet me get one soon.

Flinters are their own special addiction alright. I caught the bug the first time I fired my Austin & Halleck mountain rifle in flint. Been eyeing the market since, trying to decide which flinter is next. You can't do much better for the price than the GPR.

What Momma doesn't know don't hurt her. That's what "Squirrel money" is for. As far as my wife knows I only have one rifle and one pistol :wink: Since she has no interest whatsoever in this hobby she pays no attention to what I'm loading in the car or putting away afterwards. Now, I don't suggest making this practice widespread in your relationship cuz it will certainly bite you in the rear or slap you in the face with a fryin' pan :nono:

Take her out to a movie and dinner. when she asks what you are up to, tell her "nothing."
That will only get her more curious.
Then send her flowers.
Buy her something nice.
By now she will be worried silly that you are up to major no-good and have a guilty conscience.

When she confronts you, tell her, "Well honey, I have to confess -- (then pause for effect). There is this flintlock rifle I bought and I didn't know how to break the news to you."

She will be so relieved she won't even notice you haven't bought it yet. -- Then run like hell and get it before she changes her mind. :thumbsup:

If you do this, let me know how it worked out -- might want to try it on Mrs. Parson :grin:

I guess I'm lucky. My wife bought my first flinter, .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge, for Father's Day. After I retired and we were staying at a RV park while our house was on the market. My wife bought me a .54 GPR flint kit for something to do. Check out the prices at Midsouth Shooters: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ . They have the best prices on the net. Good luck :thumbsup: .

Last edited by a moderator:
of course you want a flintlock. what sane person would not want a flintlock?

and you should get one because you are no doubt a good and worthy fellow, deserving of this one extravagance... (actually, it's not really an extravagance- it's a neccessity, but the non- rock- banging world has yet to make this discovery).

perhaps a Christmas present to yourself?

Dont put yerself thru all that mental anguish!
Buy one! Life is Short! Have Fun!!!!
why should you have to explain anything to mammy?
She would'nt understand anyway.....

I can't blame you, I just got a brown bess, made in India, new with bayonet for $560 from my dealer friend.
I WANT A Cavillier IX DRAGOON musket bad bad bad.

Hey,

I make flinters and another option I tell people who are affraid of the huge price tag. Is if you join a historical non profit reenactment group most states you can write the guns and reenactment gear off your taxes if you line item deduct them. Also other options are to buy a flinter in the white and do the sanding and staining yourself it's not very difficult and saves alot of mula. What sort of flinter are you looking for??

Chris

Hot dickerty, I need a flintlock to :shocked2:

Had a quick count and found I have 13 which is unlucky.

I'm waiting on a Hall Mod 1819 which would put it straight if I hadn't just given my Chamber's kitgun away. It was the only gun in the cabinet that I had to justify owning, bizarre legal system, so it had to go :doh:

chriskletke said:
Hey,

I make flinters and another option I tell people who are affraid of the huge price tag. Is if you join a historical non profit reenactment group most states you can write the guns and reenactment gear off your taxes if you line item deduct them. Also other options are to buy a flinter in the white and do the sanding and staining yourself it's not very difficult and saves alot of mula. What sort of flinter are you looking for??

Chris

I'm more twords the Hawken style of rifles like the Lyman GPR in .50 or .54 & ofcorse rifled for PRB since I don't need to be shooting farther than 100 yards.

chriskletke said:
Hey,

Chris

WOW! :shocked2:
I've gotta join a reenactment group & go see my tax man! :grin:

Birddog6 said:
Raider2000 said:
Problem is though is convincing Moma tolet me get one soon.

You are still in Elementary School, right ? :redface:

You ever heard the phrase "if momma ain't happy, ain't noboby happy in this house"!

Raider2000 said:
Problem is though is convincing Moma to let me get one soon.

As most women understand the value of a good sales pitch, tell her that the flintlock is more economical to shoot, you can get many shots per flint but only one shot per percussion cap. (see, savings right off the bat) :thumbsup:

You can also use the same powder, powder measures, patches and ball starters, etc. even more savings. (depending on the caliber, of course) Why the money you'd save you could use to buy her something nice too. :wink:

Latest posts

Back