• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want to build a percussion pistol from scratch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesbeat

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.
I found this forum while researching a build I want to do, and I feel like I struck gold!

The pistol I'd like to build is something along the lines of a small Derringer.
I shortened the barrel on my Remington 1858, so I have a nice piece left over.
I'm going to install a breech plug and drum on it and make a percussion lock and stock for it.

I'm trying to find plans/ blueprints for a percussion lock, but I've turned up nothing so far.

If I can't get anything then I guess I'll try to go by photos etc, but obviously it would be considerably easier for me if I could find some drawings.

Can anyone help me out?
I promise to post a running commentary on my build :grin:

Deringer pocket pistols all had a back action lock and most, but not all of his imitators also used a back action lock.
The pocket pistols made by T. Bailey, John H. Krider and Schemann & Wirsing used conventional side locks.

I don't know of any detailed plans for a small back action lock or a Derringer pistol but you might consider using a newly made "Becky's Lock" for your project.
BECKY'S LOCK - PERCUSSION

The lockplate is about 7/8" high and 4 1/4 long.
The lock is made by Davis.

Pryor Mt Bill Newton published a few booklets on locks and triggers a while back. In one of them was a plan for Derringer lock. Look in all the usual places (TOW Dixie,etc). Good luck!

Why not something like an underhammer? Lots of small pocket pistols were built around this action.

Around the end of September or the beginning of October a book is coming out on the first American made percussion arms - the Ruggles patent underhammers. They were very simple - so much so that I'm tempted to make one from scratch, barrel included, myself. They worked so well that the term "pocket rifle" was coined to describe them.

Back