• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Locks for my shotgun, again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20230724_163026344_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230724_163054904_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230724_154925340_HDR.jpg

I now have another pair of locks.
The plates come very close to fitting the inlets in my stock. My little helper thinks we can make them work. Both have issues, but I think they can be salvaged.
They are marked " A RICHARD". I first thought RIGHARD because of the fancy C that looks like a G.
According to info I found A RICHARD is a trademark of Henri Pieper of Liege Belgium. He was "a prolific manufacturer of trade brand shotguns in the period 1881-1898 and held at least 28 different trademarks for shotguns."

Last edited:
$$$
From what I'm told the locks cost several times the value of my gun. Seems like we discussed this already. All the locks & parts I've bought so far have been less than $30 total. Maybe I have no business on this site or in this hobby.
I don't have an unlimited gun budget as apparently some do. Good for them.

Last edited:
I have wasted, according to my inept calculations, a total of at least five thousand dollars on this hobby since I was 13. Go for it, you can’t take it with you anyway, enjoy and have fun!

I bought my first blackpowder gun, a brass framed 1860 Colt replica, in 1974, at a local shop that is no longer in business. I paid, IIRC, $73.95. I still have it. Soon there after I bought a Spanish .45 long rifle and kept it for several years then sold it to my ex-brother -in -law. He has harvested several deer with it and still has it. I think I'll let him know that if he decides to sell it, I'll buy it back. He's now 78 or 79 years old. He quit hunting a few years ago after breaking a hip but he now
runs/walks two miles daily, weather permitting, so he might outlive me.

Thanks. Currently I have way less than $100 invested, including the gun and all I've spent for parts. So I'm not out much if it still ends up being a wall hanger. I hope to have a shootable gun but we'll see.

I've been packing around a couple of old Belgian shotgun locks for so long I can't remember how many years. One of these days I'll get around to building a boys rifle around one. Maybe. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to knock yourself out using an old lock that was probably low quality to begin with but for some reason it's a lot more fun. Here's a photo of my Centennial Rifle I built around a JD Dougall lock in 1976. It's a 32 caliber Douglas barrel that accounted for quite a few rabbits back in the day. This was a high quality lock that I got for next to nothing because a small part of the tumbler was broken off.

IMG_4308.JPG

Thanks. Currently I have way less than $100 invested, including the gun and all I've spent for parts. So I'm not out much if it still ends up being a wall hanger. I hope to have a shootable gun but we'll see.

Like Crisco wrote, I too think it's more interesting to build a working gun from scrounge sometimes. It happened lots in the past, too, out of necessity.

I'd polish the pits and dings out of every surface on those springs first before trying to work them, it would be another setback if they broke.

Yes, Sir Tom you're on the right track. I purchased a 1870's Era 12 ga. double years ago that is not a collector's piece just a very good and usable gun that I hunt with a lot. Then I decided to save the old gun I'd buy a modern replica. I have a CVA 12ga double that shoots very well but the comb is too high, and it doesn't fit be as well as the antique. I then purchased a Pedersoli 12ga. One of the 1970's era light weight that fits me OK But still not as good as the Original English SxS. Since my first Original I have saved from the Junk pile at auctions and local shops. 1) 10ga. Beligum. Another English 13ga SxS , and my latest project is an English 15 ga. that has the prettiest wood that I ever seen on one. If barrels are decent to good and wood is solid, I have rebuilt and or repaired all the original locks Have a lot of hours in 15ga and finishing up Left side sear with a little tig welding next few days. Have a like new set of 12ga. barrels laying in shop that I finally found a stock that will fit them with a little work. Looking for lock parts now for it. My 2 cents. P.S. I do believe I'm going to sale the replicas if anyone is interested. The Original guns just feel better in my hands, and I don't shoot any of the newer ones.

I think it will be interesting to see what I can come up with in the end. Like I said, I have hardly anything invested so if the gun remains a wall hanger so be it. I would have bought a new reproduction shotgun already if my budget would allow.
IMG_20230725_090311662_HDR.jpg

Here's the most recent pair of locks I bought. Although both are marked A RICHARD they are obviously not a matched pair.
The issues with them are...the LH, top in my pic-the center hole in the bridle is oversize and the tumbler is missing. I have the fly but it is not attached. The square shaft on the sear, where the hammer attaches is broken off flush with the outside of the plate.
RH side...fewer issues but the mainspring is broken. Otherwise I believe it would function.

Last edited:
I see both tumblers. Yes, the hole in the bridle for the left hand (top) lock is oversize. The sear lever to trip the tumbler is missing. I see in an earlier picture that the square shaft for the hammer is broken off. That will likely mean a new tumbler. The main spring is shown in an earlier picture but apparently broken. There is no fly as it is not needed for this single trigger action. I think you may mean sear lever or the pivot arm for the mainspring. Repairing these locks will be an excellent skill building exercise with your files and metal cutting tools.

You are correct. The sear lever that is moved by contact with the trigger is what's missing. Both locks had flies but the pin for one to pivot on fell out When I disassembled for cleaning. And one spring was sticking in the lock but was broken. I think I'll try making the missing & broken parts.

Let me try to put names to the parts, @tom in nc. I hope the names can be read in the picture.

I think the part you are calling the fly is actually the stirrup. There is no fly in these Richardson locks. The fly would be in a recess on the tumbler between the full cock and half cock notches.

1690313020791.jpeg

It also appears that the bridle in the lower lock is broken and will have to be replaced. No. I'm mistaken due to the color of the bridle.

Back