• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I went and did it... I made an order for the Baker rifel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well guys I went and did it. ( and I suppose I am in for a ton of ribbing here.. :bow: ) Against all reason and logic I placed an order for a Baker Rifle from TRS. I know, I know”¦ it will take forever. I did search out some of the hints you guys were good enough to pass along to me that the rifle can be had from other sources but those either don’t shoot until they are drilled and all come with a smooth bore barrel. Add to this they are made in India”¦. Perhaps I am being critical, but I want my gun to be made in the good old USA. I spoke to a man that has one of the TRS Bakers. From what he tells me they are worth the wait, as it is a real representation of the original, is very robust, a very good shooter, and a true solid military rifle from the period. Basically, I love the design and could not find anything else that came close to my dream gun”¦ ( I located a Jeager rifle, but it took a year to get as well :hmm:
I bought a nice TC in flint to quench my desire for a flint black powder gun as I wait a year ( or more) for the other”¦. The TC is a nice used one and is quite a nice little rig that will be fine until the bigger brother makes its way to the house”¦. I think then I will throw a party. My retirement party is only 3 years away, and I hope the “rifle” party is before then”¦”¦.. :(

Captdan

Swampman, Sure”¦ well, actually I love all guns”¦ but I lived in the UK for a time, and enjoy the study of history. The Baker is rich in history and in fact was a “rifleman’s rifle when there were few rifles”. Back in it’s day it was more like the pre-64 Winchester 30-06 with a unertal scope”¦. other guns were measured by this one’s success for years to come. The gun was used by the 95 regiment when the bunk of the army were shooting muskets at ranges of 75-125 yards the rifle guards ( special forces of their time) were getting kills at 300-400, unheard of for the day. They saw service in the Napoleonic wars, other parts of the world where the Union jack flew ( at one point 2/3rds of the world), and even at the Alamo ( on the wrong side I may add ”“ I am a Texan).
The design was heavy and robust. The sight flips up for range, and even simple designs such as the ram rod being placed in storage so that when drawn it is ready to ram”¦ no need to flip it around to use it as with some guns of that period. And it is a bit unique”¦”¦. Now, I also of course want a nice flint Kentucky from our past, and I’ll wind up with a Jeager sooner or later, but the Baker is sure one that I want to put into my collection.. it may even be that the wait makes it more desirable.. Hope this explains my laps of common sense”¦”¦.. Hell, I like the gun”¦ I suppose that is about it ( as with all gun nuts, some you just have to have when you see it). And I think the thing will be a blast to shoot with that .62 ball bearing coming out of it!
:hatsoff:

Good luck. hope it pans out for ya. and by all means, keep us pusted on your experiences. I think most here REALLY. REALLY want to hear good news about TRS, myself included. :thumbsup:

EEB said:
A friend just took delivery of one. Took TRS three years to get it to him.

EEB, Did the friend buy a Baker from them? If so, I'd like to know how he likes it and how it shoots... overall how please or not he is. When I called TRS they did tell me that a while back one of the guys that builds the parts was ill, and was off for months due to the illness. And that yes, they got behind due to this.. perhaps that was the same time period. Still, three years is a long wait for sure! :cursing:

It's ok CaptDan, 3 to 4 years really is that long to wait...

For a prison sentence! :rotf:

I don't mind waiting up to a year for things... (ok, I do, but I can live with a year..) 6 months is better, 2 months better yet, 3 days after ordering is best in my book :winking: , but not always doable with the cottage industry items we want.

I hope it dosen't take so long as 3 years in your case.(Maybe they cast up a bunch of Baker parts when they made the other rifle :thumbsup: )

Best of luck in a short wait for a nice rifle.

Cheers,

David Teague

Pittsburghunter said:
Dan, what are you going to be shooting as you wait for the Baker? Sounds like an interesting rifle.

Bought a Pesersoli Kentucky flint yesterday from Track of the worlf... I've got a T/C, but I want to practice flinting before I get the Baker, and chose the Pedersoli... it was not expensive, and seems like a nice looking ( and I'm told ) a nice gun. I can always sell it if I don't take a likeing to it..

Dan

Captdan - He's an older fellow and does not shoot much. I have not seen the Baker, but he says it is beautiful and is very pleased with it. If he says it's beautiful, then it is because he's very particular about his guns.

Not to change the subject but IIRC I saw a repro Furgeson that's being made by someone out there in muzzle loader land. It was pretty espensive but it'd be way cool to have a breech loading flintlock. :hmm:

more power to ya, man. i think the baker rifle is hella cool. they had a little special on them on the history international channel a couple months back. i hope you get it sooner than in 3 yrs., though. :grin:

I have one that got from Jess almost 10 years ago...........boy time flies with your having fun, I didn't realize that until I wrote it down. I think you'll really like if after id arrives. When ever I go to a range or shoot i've never been at before, everyghing stops after I fire my first round. It doesn't sound like anything else and initial questioning looks turn into lots of questions and comments. Mostly I have to explain that its not a smooth bore, its a rifle.

If you're really interested in the Baker get a copy of Bailey's British Military Flintlock Rifles It has more information in it than you'd beleive possible.

BTW one minor point, you do have to swap ends on the rammer to load.

Any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

BAKERS YES :hatsoff: I went a dif. route. Could not afford a TRS, so :hmm: I bought a "Indian reproduction. ($549.00) Sent off to W.VA for a Bbl. & sights.($200.00) I am now browning the Bbl. ( the orig. were "browned", honing the lock, refinishing the stock etc. Hows it shoot ?? I have yet to shoot it, But the Bbl. maker sent a test target & @ 50 yds it shot a "clover leaf" :grin: Total $$$ = under $800.00 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Puffer

Well Captdan, I placed an ordered for the British 1st Model Long Land Brown Bess kit from TRS in April of 2004. I ordered the version with the assembled lock. They originally told me it would take about 3 months. Christmas time of that year, I got the barrel and most of the metal parts. Around Easter of 2005, the assembled lock arrived. I finally got the last part, the stock, last October. So it took about a year and a half.

I called them about every 6 weeks after the first 6 months to check on the status. I kept getting excuse after excuse and promised delivery dates that came and went. A couple of times I just about cancelled the order. In the end, the wait was worth it. The parts are first quality. They even send me a nicely figure walnut stock to make up for some of the delay. I just wish they were a little more truthful on thier delivery times.

Before ordering the Long Land kit, I had considered buying one of the Indian made Long Land copies offered by Loyalist Arms, Descriminating General, etc... After actually looking at a couple, they did not look quite right. Most of the metal and wood parts were not correctly shaped and it looked like a cheap junk shop copy of the original. I also could not get past the funky rosewood they use for the stocks. I am sure they are ok from a functional standpoint but they are not very historically accurate. It's just me. I'm picky like that.

Hi Capt.dan
Well the wait will be worth it for the metals, lock etc. These are awesome. I wouldn't pay all up front. This might encourage them along. They seem to be swamped. I got my Jaeger and vented. Now that I 've got to work on it I know it will be a great rifle. Did you get a kit or a full blown rifle? Like I said the lock etc. are just beautiful. Any ways good luck and that is an excellent choice for a firearm.best regards loyalistdawg :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Sir Michael said:
BTW one minor point, you do have to swap ends on the rammer to load.

Captdan, I hate to say it but I was wong. :redface: you learn something new every day. :bow: This weekend was spent at the annual Muzzleloading Arms and Pioneer Craft Show put on by one of the clubs I belong to. At tha show three of us with Baker rifles had a chance to get together and compare rifles, One self built volenteer version, My TRS built 1805 version and an India made 1805 version. In some ways very different and in some ways very the same. To disconntinue by resitation on how to build the clock and getting back to the subject, the use of the rammer was discussed and sure enough, according to the reprint of the Regulation for the Exercise of Riflemen and Light Infantry, the rammer is not supposed to be turned over and the flared head used to ram the ball down the barrel. The slightly enlarged, female treaded end is supposed to be used to push the ball down the barrel. All of this is explained in excrusiating detail in several places including the above reference in Appendix 10. :redface:

Since I initially read this book with my mind focused on development and historical useage I just went right past it with no retention. :haha: Go figure.

This practice was undoubtedly based on simplicity of instruction for the soldiers and to prevent them from getting tangled up with each other when loading in ranks. It makes sense.

Since they were not interested in trying to shoot 2" groups at 100 yds, they most likely never gave a thought to the circular impression this would leave on the face of the ball. They were interested in primarily speed of reloading. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the best of the Regt.'s shooters when shooting long range at a specific individual didn't turn the rammer around and use the flared end to ensure greater accuracy since they had gone to the trouble of loading loose powder and a separately patched ball. Although there is no documented eveidence of this that I've seen or heard of. I'm also sure that out of plain old couriosity more than one rifleman checked the range for shot balls or doug one out of a target stand or tree and saw the deformation caused by the threaded end of the rammer.

Like I said, you learn something new every day.

I posted this here rather than by e-mail because I wanted to make sure that any one else reading this thread didn't get the wrong idea about me or the use of the Baker rammer. :thumbsup:

Keep in touch.

Back