• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Id this gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Jones

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased this rifle yesterday at the North Dakota Muzzleloaders annual trade fair in Fargo, ND. The barrel markings are Left flat: sn# 177 BLACK POWDER ONLY Top flat: S. HAWKEN ST. LOUIS Right flat: HASTINGS .50 CAL Lock: 177 (percussion) Front Sights: copper base with silver blade (German silver??) Rear Sight: buck horn with allen wrench screw lock for elevation adjustment. Trigger: adjustable set trigger with straight front trigger. Stock: curly maple with all iron furniture. Nose cap: one piece pewter. I was hoping that you could tell me about this rifle as far as year built and if I need parts can I get them. Also it would be nice to know an approximate value for this rifle. I hope that this will not be any inconvenience as I have looked all over the web and can't seem to get any details.

myAlbums.do

Pic's of first posting

Not sure if this works but I will give it one more shot. :surrender:
[url] http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/dtjknd[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope this works am having trouble posting pic's. :surrender:
[url] http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/dtjknd[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...have you read my other post under Id this rifle? Not sure of maker. Any ideas??

I purchased this rifle at the North Dakota Muzzleloaders annual trade fair in Fargo, ND. The barrel markings are Left flat: sn# 177 BLACK POWDER ONLY Top flat: S. HAWKEN ST. LOUIS Right flat: HASTINGS .50 CAL Lock: 177 (percussion) Front Sights: copper base with silver blade (German silver??) Rear Sight: buck horn with allen wrench screw lock for elevation adjustment. Trigger: adjustable set trigger with straight front trigger. Stock: curly maple with all iron furniture. Nose cap: one piece pewter. I was hoping that you could tell me about this rifle as far as year built and if I need parts can I get them. Also it would be nice to know an approximate value for this rifle. I hope that this will not be any inconvenience as I have looked all over the web and can't seem to get any details.

Seen many Hawken copy's but youv lost me on that one,...for now maybe Cooner or Gray Wolf will get a look at it to help you out if they are on anytime soon. Or maybe someone here will remember this one the wood around the lock is a give way to who the maker might be. Fred :hatsoff:

Except for the wood around lock and other side, its close. Fred :hatsoff: and tht was a Green River rifle to boot!

Hmmmmm now I am really curious on this..... :hmm:

I must have read the first post to fast. If it says Hawken could it be a Hawken model from Green river???? Has to be some good experts out there some where..... :hatsoff:

Just a thought that popped up looking at the rifle pictures... not at home, will have to look for catalog from a few years ago...

Think Cabelas sold a Hastings Hawken for about $1,300.00. It was not in catalogs very long. Guessing they did not sell many since it was about $1,300.00.

Often recycle old catalogs but will repost if I find the catalog & a match.

Hopefully someone else will beat me to it!

:youcrazy: :rotf:

:grin: Don't know what it is ,but looks like it could be a MY RIFLE can I have it? he he Seriously it is a Buet.Shifty

Mr. Moderator, please merge this with the Harken pictures string. It's too early in the am to be clicking back and forth! :hatsoff:

Thanks for merging, I too was having a hard time keeping track....Also I would like to thank all who have responded to this post. :applause: The question as to who the maker was is not resolved :hmm: but have e-mailed Cabela's as was mentioned. Also have sent email questions to Hastings. :hmm: So on goes the search. Thanks again too all!! BBN

shifty I am located at scott co. TN. I live at the Possum Trot shooting range (see my profile)

Ephraim

Back