• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idea for cleaning, Maybe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fahopity

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am kicking around an idea, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it hasn’t already been tried before. It would be for guns that removing the barrel is not a good option. It would involve a flexible tube with a spray nozzle on the end and using a low pressure water supply like maybe a 1 gal pump up weed sprayer. I envision using a cradle to hold the gun muzzle down, lock removed, torch hole/nipple plugged. The tube would have to be small diameter, and the spray head probably fabricated to spray out the end of the nozzle and laterally out the sides of the nozzle at the same time. Has anyone tried something similar? What are your thoughts pro and con?

Member Semisane did it a few years ago with a home fabricated garden hose attachment.
Hung the rifle on some pegs on a fence outside.
he got everything from a hardware store,,
Don't know if he's got the photo's up anymore,, :idunno:

Awhile back I saw an interesting accessory on the Pedersoli website... it was a small steam wand, very similar to what you have described. It was on their website.. I looked at Cherry's pedersoli site and it wasn't listed, so I'm not sure if it's available here in the U.S. I would be interested to know some of the "elders" opinion on steam cleaning a barrel.. lock, etc.. good, bad, or so-so ?

wgr

Well, by the time you have set up and attached everything plus finally cleaning it. I'll have my gun cleaned, oiled put up and having a cold one.
A little soap and water, 6 patches, sometimes less, one oil patch, give the lock a good spray with carb-cleaner, shake dry, a dab of rem-oil on internals and thats it. Why make something a chore when it should'nt be? :idunno: JMHO. Goes for the Goop cleaners too.

I have a one gallon jug with a hand pump (typical industrial type detergent dispenser) connected via 2' of flexible tubing to a 4' length of semi flexible pvc tube. I take the lock off the rifle, rest it upside down on a bucket or sawhorse, shove the tube down the barrel and give it a few squirts. Brush it out, give it a few more squirts until it runs clear and then start running patches. Works like a charm.

When I don't remove the barrel,I just attach a piece of fish tank tubing to the nipple and then submerge the other end in a bottle / can of solution. Use the same pump method as if you take the gun down and set the breach into the can of solution and it works fine, maybe better for the bolster area as the stuff goes in at a higher pressure that way.

Dunlap Woodcrafts sells a product called the Flintlock EZ Cleaner - it's basically a flush kit, and they have an attachment for percussion guns, too. I use one for my flinters with a water/Ballistol solution, then dry the bore real good and swab with patches containing straight Ballistol. here is a link:
www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com

Last edited by a moderator:
a friend of mine work at chemical plant and they had steam system that they cleaned stuff with, and some of the guy's cleaned there ML's with steam. he said it cleaned a ML quick! but it's dangerous too.

Back