• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify Italy made percussion revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc40

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Will appreciate help to identify replica type Italy made percussion revolver similar to Colt 1860 or Remington.
Brass frame, steel 6 round cylinder, and barrel. Has markings on end of butt- Italy "DART" and serial number. Walnut grips, 7 3/4" barrel. [email protected] Thanks very much for your help as I know nothing about replicas.

Doc

Unfortunately, the Colt (being open frame with no top strap) is a totally different revolver to the Remington (solid frame) and they are poles apart. It is therefore unlikely anyone will be able to identify the revolver in question from your description, unless they recognise the 'DART' marking which unfortunately I don't.

If you could post a picture it would greatly increase your chances of someone recognising it. Good luck,

Tight Wad

Thanks for your post. I have found that the revolver is a reproduction of Remington 1858 Army. However the maker choose to use brass for the frame. At least I know something more than when I started. Hope someone will know about "Dart" - Italy, understand there are many repro mfg. in Italy. Comparing the gun to pictures of Rem.1858 worked out.

I don't know what DART is but replica cap and ball pistols are made with Brass frames and steel frames.

The original Union pistols (Civil War) were steel framed guns.
The Confederates made copies of the Colt (open top) and Whitney (closed top) pistols using brass for the frames. This was done because the South didn't have a lot of iron or steel.
To the best of my knowledge, the South never made a brass framed copy of the 1858 Remington.

Speaking of replica guns, the steel framed guns are the better choice and cost more than the brass framed guns.
This is due to the fact that the brass framed guns are weaker and the frame will stretch over time if heavy powder loads are fired in them.
I am not saying it is dangerous to fire one of the brass framed guns, just that they wear out faster than a steel framed replica.

If your not interested in shooting the gun, and your not the type to insist on historically correct pistols, the brass framed gun still has the feel of an original and can be a nice touch with the past just hanging on a wall.

As your gun was made in Italy, you can determine the year it was made by looking for the little square box adjacent to the proof marks. It will have letters or roman numberals in it.
Follow this link to a site which will tell you the year of production these letters/numberals represent. PROOF MARK YEARS

Thanks for your post. I have found that the revolver is a reproduction of Remington 1858 Army. However the maker choose to use brass for the frame. At least I know something more than when I started. Hope someone will know about "Dart" - Italy, understand there are many repro mfg. in Italy. Comparing the gun to pictures of Rem.1858 worked out.

Are you there any other markings or writing that you could describe to us? Where is that "DART" located on the gun? Under the barrel hidden by the loading lever? On the side? On the top? On the right side of the frame near where the screws come through?

I've got someone I can call, and maybe find out about the "DART" meaning. :hmm:

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I went to this site & tried to locate "DART":
http://www.earmi.it/armi/database/brand_p.htm

However, this was unsuccessful. But because the last time I had tried to locate the name listed on an Italian revolver, it ended up being the name of the "importer", not the manufacturer. After not being able to match up the initials with any possible European manufacturer, I've come to the point of speculating that "dart" is backward for "trad" or Traditions. This is strictly a hunch without anything to go on, unless of course the pistol predates Traditions entrance into the importation of Italian revolvers. :haha:

On the bottom of grips imprinted in the metal,- Italy DART B 7536, on right above trigger two proof marks and proof date AA (1975) Proof marks on right side of barrel breech end. Thanks for your help.

I sent an email inquiry to e.mori, the administrator at the previously mentioned site (earmi.it) asking about a 1975 b.p. revolver marked "DART" and he quickly & kindly responded:

"Sorry! I have found no notice about a revolver DART.
EM"
7/13/2005 8:58:57 AM EDT

On this webpage: http://www.earmi.it/armi/database/armieri.htm

There is a database that lists "Gunsmiths in Italy 1945 -1980"
There is also Italian text that a computer generated translation very roughly translates as:
"This list includes ALL of THE Italian armieri (512) that recorded their brand I press the testing Ground of Gardone Val Trompia (Brescia) from 1945 to 1980. A lot they were obviously already profitable before such date. They are listed approximately according to the order of record. For how much possible the list verr

Subj: Re: DART revolver Inquiry (?)
Date: 7/13/2005 2:55:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time

"It is possible, but I do not find other informations. The company Esterina
River does not exist more. I know that he had produced one copy of the
revolver Python cal. 9mm Flobert with smooth bore and a carbine (Texas
carbine). EM"

I talked to a gunsmith who I thought might have been able to solve the mystery, and he didn't have too much to offer. He suspects that these may have been a contract run of revolvers possibly made for another larger maker in Gardone. But he could not identify it beyond that.

I do have a couple more sources (persons) that I know, but have not been able to contact yet. I will continue trying though.

Wouldn't shoot it yet either... just to be on the safe side.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Back