• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you could only have ONE muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Musketman said:
It would be a flintlock smoothbore, because it can fire shot, a roundball, and even buckshot and ball at the same time...

Flintlock because you can always find a sparking stone, once caps are gone, your gun becomes a club...

Once your powder is wet or gone a flinter makes a pretty good crutch but not a very good gun. :shocked2:
Don

lennowenoxie said:
Musketman said:
It would be a flintlock smoothbore, because it can fire shot, a roundball, and even buckshot and ball at the same time...

Flintlock because you can always find a sparking stone, once caps are gone, your gun becomes a club...

Once your powder is wet or gone a flinter makes a pretty good crutch but not a very good gun. :shocked2:
Don

All muzzleloaders fall silent without powder

I will be a bit of a curmudgeon on this post. I would definitely own more than one muzzleloader.

But for the sake of academics, I would say a TC Renegade with an extra 12 guage barrel.

"Once your powder is wet or gone a flinter makes a pretty good crutch but not a very good gun.
Don'

Hey Don...if one could capture all the hot air that usually goes with any of the PC, HC or authenticity based threads around here it would give one a means of propulsion for a lifetime...(VBG)

tg said:
"Once your powder is wet or gone a flinter makes a pretty good crutch but not a very good gun.
Don'

Hey Don...if one could capture all the hot air that usually goes with any of the PC, HC or authenticity based threads around here it would give one a means of propulsion for a lifetime...(VBG)

It would definitely bring down the price of gas. :rotf: It makes it fun though, huh?
Don

You must remember that with great care ,its possible to make a few pounds of Real Black Powder 5 or 10 pounds at a time.Under normal circunstances I woudn't But to keep shooting and not useing it for a fence post or crutch I certainly would!!! :hmm:

Just one gun? Thats a hard choice but guess I would have to keep a nice German double in .50 cal rifled and .50 cal smoothbore. It's light and handy and can be loaded for anything with just a change of which trigger to pull.
Fox :thumbsup:

Ferguson flintlock. Because its so unusual and will give me a real edge over a charging Griz. :youcrazy: :rotf:

Ummmmm...point of the Ferguson is that it's a breechloader.....back to the question,Baker Rifle for me....

Wish I had an answer to this question but I haven't shot a wide enough varitey of arms yet to know that probably other than a custom nothing really fits me comfortably. I've studied some guns and researched a little and have an idea of what might work for me.

Figure a gun thats half or full stock that has enough pull and drop for me. 1 inch keyed barrel so I can change from rifle to smooth and interchanble locks from flint to cap depending if I have real BP or have to use Pryodex. Yes I want everything possible. Dought if it would be a PC gun but in my minds eye it would be a doozy of a huntin' weapon based a little on both the plains rifle and the English sporter.

I like rebel's idea of the 12 bore double smoothie. It was actually used in Africa in the 1850s for elephants by some English sportsmen, though from horse back since a 12 was considered a bit on the light side and quick get away was recommended.

My TVM gun . It's .50 cal. and I dont plan on ever humting dangerous stuff and the .50 seems to be able to handle all that I plan to do. Oh and it's flint as well.

bigbore442001 said:
I will be a bit of a curmudgeon on this post. I would definitely own more than one muzzleloader.

But for the sake of academics, I would say a TC Renegade with an extra 12 guage barrel.

I agree - only one? I do have a Renegade 54 with a 12GA switch barrel, but I guess if really only one of the current bakers dozen plus 2 it would have to be my Hawken switcher with custom 36, 45 and 50 barrels and both cap and flint locks. I have others I like better, but with its versatility it would be the likely choice. Even it will be old hash though when I get around to finding a very nice long custom 40 Southern Mountain rifle or have one built one of these days. For my needs that could be the "one" gun for everything I do.

Just one gun :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: OK, well.....just one?? :shocked2: :hmm: :hmm:
Well, I suppose it would have to be the William Smith inspired 14ga flint sxs that I haven't built yet.

Cody

Walks Alone said:
bigbore442001 said:

I agree - only one? I do have a Renegade 54 with a 12GA switch barrel, but I guess if really only one of the current bakers dozen plus 2 it would have to be my Hawken switcher with custom 36, 45 and 50 barrels and both cap and flint locks. I have others I like better, but with its versatility it would be the likely choice. Even it will be old hash though when I get around to finding a very nice long custom 40 Southern Mountain rifle or have one built one of these days. For my needs that could be the "one" gun for everything I do.

.12ga switch barrel for the Renegade...means it's a 1" barrel so it should also drop-in to a .54/.58cal Hawken stock.

I've never seen one...is it a typical looking TC 1" octagon barrel, of is it some sort of a step down to round, etc?

Barrel length?

Cylinder Choke?

Is it caplock only or available in Flint too?

Thanks!

roundball said:
Walks Alone said:

.12ga switch barrel for the Renegade...means it's a 1" barrel so it should also drop-in to a .54/.58cal Hawken stock.

I've never seen one...is it a typical looking TC 1" octagon barrel, of is it some sort of a step down to round, etc?

Barrel length?

Cylinder Choke?

Is it caplock only or available in Flint too?

Thanks!

Hey roundball -

Yep, its a caplock step down from 1" octagon to round and would fit a 1" Hawken stock, 28 1/2" with about equal to a modern day improved modified choke, and its own mounted ramrod and tools. Its well balanced on the Renegade - points very naturally. Stamped Toledo Armus, but I bought it as new old stock from a private individual so don't know where and if still available, or if it was available as a flinter. Will have to take pictures of it one of these days.

Cover your questions good 'nuf?

Great, thanks...sounds like it was made to drop in the Renegade by a compmany similar to Green Mountain who makes drop-ins

11 gauge english fowler, stock cut back at the muzzle for bayonet. Bad news for moose and squirrel :grin: also useful for F&I or AWI events.
The bayonet can be used to hold a candle or clear the drug dealers off the playground. :thumbsup:

Back