• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition speed between flint and percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have NEVER seen the pan flash and I am left-handed and I shoot right-handed Matchlocks, Snap Locks, Wheellocks, Snaphaunces, Miquelets, and Flintlocks!

If you keep all your focus on the front sight - where it is supposed to be - at the shot and all the way through the follow-through, then you will NEVER see the pan flash, EVER!

I tell you … seriously, many on here need to learn how to shoot properly …

I expect it was due to new technology. Also more likely to get wet from weather conditions. Though harder to clear if fouled.

Wonder why the Military went to Percussion????
They couldn't simply stay with Flint as the world progressed. A cap-n-ball will fire in damp or rain conditions to a point. Soldiers aren't into maintaining a flint lock like us picky-picky BP shooters! There had to be some transition between Flint and Cartridge. MB and the Bevels are great reading, but the real world historical era was just that, the real world. Fun to think about stuff, though.

I've seen it many times when we are shooting in the rain. The flint shooters are on the line to the end, while most cap shooters have wet caps, and are out of the game.

I've seen it many times when we are shooting in the rain. The flint shooters are on the line to the end, while most cap shooters have wet caps, and are out of the game.
I think that is because flint shooters have learned they have to pay more attention to details to experience reliability than do percussion shooters.

While it may be interesting, thought provoking and cause for some to argue about, what difference does it make??? If you want fast reliable ignition shoot an unmentionable. Most of us BP shooters are doing so for fun, nostalgia, the challenge, etc, etc. At least that is why shoot traditional BP shooters, nothing else much matters.🙂🙂

While it may be interesting, thought provoking and cause for some to argue about, what difference does it make??? If you want fast reliable ignition shoot an unmentionable. Most of us BP shooters are doing so for fun, nostalgia, the challenge, etc, etc. At least that is why shoot traditional BP shooters, nothing else much matters.🙂🙂
That is true of casual BP shooters but top competitors know there is a percussion advantage and will never use a flint gun against percussion when all the marbles are at stake.

Simple solution, keep your caps dry, and it doesn’t take much to do that. I keep mine in a capper and in my pocket.

It’s no different than keeping your powder dry.

I’m a diehard flint shooter and like the challenge that goes with them, but have known this to be a fact from the beginning. All of my flint guns are fast, for a flint gun. I also own several good percussion guns that are very reliable.
Facts are facts and the percussion is faster and is easier to make good shots with. But we still have ignorant people in our muzzleloading clubs that don’t believe this and think they have made a great accomplishment if they beat a flint shooter by a couple points.

That is true of casual BP shooters but top competitors know there is a percussion advantage and will never use a flint gun against percussion when all the marbles are at stake.
There is also evidence that percussion ignition produces better overall accuracy than does flint when reading Ned Roberts book. In the age of cap lock match rifle shooting virtually all of the records established by flint guns were wiped out by percussion rifles.
Flint shooters loath to admit this but it is fact.

I prefer flintlocks because of the long history they have, the style and beauty of the guns of the golden age, and the effort that must go into mastering them. The relative short longevity of percussion guns and the usual utilitarian look and use doesn't hold much interest for me. I reckon it's good we don't all like the same thing.

I prefer flintlocks because of the long history they have, the style and beauty of the guns of the golden age, and the effort that must go into mastering them. The relative short longevity of percussion guns and the usual utilitarian look and use doesn't hold much interest for me. I reckon it's good we don't all like the same thing.
I sure am enjoying my flint rifles and hand guns as well but feel the truth about each should be known and understood .

I've shot flintlocks since the mid 70's but lately I have also been toying with my wheellock. My flinters are fast, generally, but it would be interesting to test a wheellock this way. The wheellock just seems to be faster than the flintlock and maybe in the same range as the percussion.

Attachments

• 22663940_2.jpg
    22663940_2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
I've shot flintlocks since the mid 70's but lately I have also been toying with my wheellock. My flinters are fast, generally, but it would be interesting to test a wheellock this way. The wheellock just seems to be faster than the flintlock and maybe in the same range as the percussion.
The reason for percussion speed increase is because of it's focused fulmate pressure ignition through the nipple orifice venturi, rather than lighting the black powder surface with a shower of sparks and non pressurized burn to main charge.
The wheel lock is still the later surface ignition of BP and will not be as fast as percussion.

The reason for percussion speed increase is because of it's focused fulmate pressure ignition through the nipple orifice venturi, rather than lighting the black powder surface with a shower of sparks and non pressurized burn to main charge.
The wheel lock is still the later surface ignition of BP and will not be as fast as percussion.
Sounds like a good explanation. I'm more thinking about a wheellock vs flintlock ignition. I am thinking a good wheellock might be slightly quicker.

I sure am enjoying my flint rifles and hand guns as well but feel the truth about each should be known and understood .
Thank you for posting the truth.

I still would like to have a small caliber flintlock for occasional squirrel hunting in good conditions, but percussion is my choice for overall hunting. A percussion has never let me down, not even after being out in rain for 5 hours. In terms of the ignition speed, it’s fast.

My guess is, due to finances, I might have to find a lesser quality flintlock and have the lock tuned. Whatever the heck that means. Either way, I am interested in a flintlock.

Thank you for posting the truth.

I still would like to have a small caliber flintlock for occasional squirrel hunting in good conditions, but percussion is my choice for overall hunting. A percussion has never let me down, not even after being out in rain for 5 hours. In terms of the ignition speed, it’s fast.

My guess is, due to finances, I might have to find a lesser quality flintlock and have the lock tuned. Whatever the heck that means. Either way, I am interested in a flintlock.
One does not need a 2500.00 dollar gun to have a fine, reliable flint lock. If you can manage a GM barrel and Chamber/Siler deluxe lock or a Kibler kit you will have a fine shooting, reliable rifle.

Back