• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Illinois Squirrel Season Opens Monday!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Who's going out despite the forecasted 95 degree temps? The thing that stinks is I can't make it out in the mornings all next week so I have to hunt afternoons and evenings. I'm real excited about it because it's another chance to spend a day in the woods hunting with a muzzleloader. I plan on using either my Pedersoli sxs 12 gauge or Thompson Center .56 Smoothbore. I can't decide yet and I figure I'll shoot whichever gives me a better pattern Sunday when I actually compare the guns side by side. I'll probably use my 12 gauge because with the pillow ticking shotcup strips it can shoot good patterns out to 30-35 yards with #8 shot so it'll probably be very good with #6 shot at 25 yards or more.

I'd use a slingshot if I could just hunt. All you can do is fish in Alabama this time of year. I need to hunt something edible, tired of shooting crows.

I'm sorry guys but I don't have any pics to show :shake:. Not because I forgot the camera but the tree rats wouldn't cooperate. I took my friend hunting who's never gotten his first kill so my goal was to get him a shot with his .410. We really only saw one that was confirmed and I could've taken a quick shot with the double barrel but I tried moving him forward to take a shot and the dang thing got off the branch near the trunk of the tree and got on the ground and this time of year if they aren't in the tree you don't have a shot since the plants are so thick on the ground. I'll probably go Wednesday again but might try the evening and sit down some place which we couldn't do today because SOMEBODY was gettin' impatient when we waited for squirrels for like 10 minutes :haha:. I'll probably go by myself Wednesday so that improves my chances greatly.

Back