• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm about done.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric Krewson said:
Here is my low tech, cheap, collapsible shooting bench. Works as well as any high dollar bench. Just an idea if you need a stable place to shoot from.

shootingbench.jpg
Yep gets the job done :thumbsup:

When I had a .45 Kentucky it liked 65 grains FFFg and .440rb's. Comments on the crack, red tongue of flame and disappearing critter craniums were not unusual.

The way I got over the flicky flash flinch was to use old worn out flints. By the time I got through laughing at myself I'd stopped flinching.

Best of luck to you. Don't give up on that solution that's just around the corner.

I have about 20# of sandbags on my sawhorse bench, makes it real stable.

I am a lousy shot because I can't see the back sight but can guesstimate a ball into the target most of the time.

Bill large barrel, Bob Roller lock .440 cal,snatched the trigger on the first shot but not the next two at 50 yards off my el-cheapo bench rest.

test2011silverrifle.jpg

Lakota
You have gotten great advice from all.I think Bird Dog covered nearly everything and yes 'any' movement of either sight will drive you nuts! The only thing I do not agree with is "being surprised" at the shot. I realize this is common thinking now days but I always shoot my best when I know exactly when the weapon is going to fire. I also think some practice with a 'wooden flint' will help you....
Macon

My first ML was a CVA St. Louis Hawken .50 caplock which I still have. It took me some time also at first to realize that the rear sight was loose, which explained my 1-1.5 FOOT patterns at 50 yds. Once I replaced the loose factory adjustable with a properly fitted fixed traditional, the same rifle, with the same load (and even the same shooter) gives me 3-4" groups at 100 yds when I do my part the vast majority of the time. That loose sight WILL drive you nuts and fixing it will make improvements you wouldn't believe til you see them. Best of luck and dont give up.

Maybe I missed it but how thick are the patches ? A 440 rb in a Gr Mt barrel(it is a Gr Mt isn't it ? I think that's what TVA yses, maybe I'm wrong)would take a very thick patch. All the 45 GM barrels I have had used 445 rb and .020 patch. One used a 451 rb and .015 patch. Unless that load is tight, you'll have these problems.Most store bought ticking (Wally Mart and fabric store ) is .015.You got to get that ball tight in the bore. Take into account depth of rifling and you may be getting blow by and not near enough spin on it.

I would think that placing your sandbag up by the first
pushrod entry thimble would be more stable then the entry thimble. With both arms on the bench.

I am using wally world ticking for patches. I dont have a micrometer but my lyman caliper says its near .011. I found a square of denim that measures out to .020 on my caliper. I will try the denim next.

Most of the pillow ticking I have bought at WallWorld was .011 to .013. Very seldom find it .015 or .016 & if you do, you best buy the whole bolt of it. Do Not depend on SKU numbers, as they buy in bulk & all that means is color & it is ticking, not the thickness.

On the .45's I have owned, they had Grn Mtn barrels & I always shoot a .445 ball & a .015 ticking patch.

Keith Lisle

Yep, I'd go with a .445 and .015-.020 patch. I don't care if you have to drive it down with a mallet. I'll bet that cures the problem. Those little "twisty' things in a barrel are in there for a reason. Once you find the proper load, you will find that a sharp rap of your hand on a short starter will get it going down.

What are you using for balls ? Are they swagged or do you pour your own ? I had that same problem using poured balls when I first started shooting bp. Then I had a fella tell me to put the cut (spur?) Side facing foreward so the ball didn't fly out of balance . This was in the 70s , I don't know if the newer molds are any better .

lakota, I find the selection of fabric types and thickness for RB patches and even flannel cleaning patches the best at Jo-Ann Fabrics. Their home page lists store locations as well as more fabrics than you can imagine. If one of their stores is near you, it's worth a trip, especially if you have or can download coupons. Be sure to bring a micrometer with you to determine fabric thickness and thus, suitabilty for your RB & bore dimensions.

Bag rifle for sight in--tighten tang bolt .elongate barrel pin holes..and the thing that really stands out is bore condition..have you ran a bronze brush and lead remover through it since you shot those ballets? Bad bore? bad barrel?vent liner opened up too much?

Good luck.

back off on your powder I shoot 80 grains FF in my 58 and 120 gr if i plan on 150-200 yard shots. You need to use a rest to start with and calm down if you can't get consistant then check your bore. I had a 50. that devoloped problems and had the rifling touched up made a tack driver out of it. one last thought how's it load? can you push the ball home with one push or are you hammering the ball down?

With any new rifle of any kind, you have to zero it off a solid bench. I mean solid, not wobbly picnic table, but something that will not move. Take the shooter out of the equation as much as possible. Bench shooting also helps overcome flinch. When I went back to flinters after decades of centerfire, I shot off the bench exclusively until I could follow through and get good groups.

Once you're shooting good groups off the bench, get off of it and test the shooter.

If it won't group off a rock solid rest, it could be load, rifle, or shooter. Eliminate one thing at a time until it works.

makeumsmoke said:
the thing that really stands out is bore condition..have you ran a bronze brush and lead remover through it since you shot those ballets?

As I've read through all the posts I was thinking the same thing. The original post stated this is a used gun, so who knows what the last person was shooting and if conicals, if they ever "took the lead out." If all the other advice fails, a good scrubbing of the barrel with a lead remover might be worth a try.

Someone offered a $100 for the gun....maybe they already suspect this! :hmm:

Lakota ,I can tell you this,DONT GIVE UP !I have shot my ramrod down range ,loaded my gun with prb and no powder,flinched, you name it I've done it wrong LOL .If you listen to these fellas on here they will straighten you out! They did me! LOL !

Back