• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm curious, what would you make?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I admit I'm bored! So humor me, If you had this beautiful piece of Black Walnut, what would you build using it? :grin:

1451.jpg

Swampy, Niiiiiiiice!! my first thought is an early fowler, New England, or English in style. Second thought, I would be building it in NY :wink: .
Robby

Just cuzz I'm greedy, I'd want something with a largish butt to take advantage of as much of that figure as I could.

As for "correctness" in using walnut for a particular model and era? Damn the torpedoes. Your persona broke the original maple and had it restocked locally with local wood. Let your local HC/PC nazis contradict that if they can. :rotf:

It probably would not take any greater effort to use that wood with what was build in a period that would make the gun and wood correct for both settings.
But it’s your wood and a lot depends on how clever you are at making excuses when asked about the wood on that gun.
You just aught to send it here to me. I’ll know what to do with it. :thumbsup:
Twice.

I just asked the question of what would you make with this guys. Don't make this into a HC/PC issue please, has absolutely nothing to do with that. :v

If'n it were mine, initially I'd just look at it and dream of a suitable LR, preferably an early one. On second thought, an early Reading seeing there's plenty of wood on this stock style. Normally I build slender Bucks County LRs, but it would be a shame to only use less than 10% of that blank and the remainder turned into scrap. What are you contemplating?.....Fred

I my case that’s easy. Out of all your guns I like the New England style half stock .36 cal. I would want more like that.

Beautiful piece of wood. :)

William Alexander

A nice simple early fowler with gorgeous lines. Let the wood make it sing. :thumbsup:

I don't know how you feel about the style, but the Dutch style club-foot fowler is the Bertha of big butt guns.

If I was building for me though, I'd be inclined to at least a "shotgun" style butt on a larger caliber, whether an English game gun or one of the Virginia styles.

About the only thing that you wouldn't want to make with a blank of that caliber is a mistake! :wink:

From what I've seen of Swampy's taste I'll bet he's gonna' go with something "New Englandy" :thumbsup:

That blanks in good hands though. Mike has what it takes to give it what it deserves.

If I could afford a piece of wood like that I would use it on my snaphaunce project....

Maybe Ill get luck and find some money laying arround my house somewhere!

:hmm: I have a T/C shot gun that needs a stock I mean if you are bored and want a project to do :)

oh yea I am broke azz and can't pay right now
but I will brag about how great a job you did :idunno:

Actually Roy is my New England style go to guy. This project is a little off the norm, I would trust Roy with to but this one screamed Mike Brooks, if you will. :grin:

You should get an early style firearm like a wheelie or a snaphaunce, If you are lucky an englishlock or a rasplock!

I guess I'll havta see if Mike can save some of that blank for knife handles and such. I had a custom made 34" oct/rd .62 rifled barrel made for that blank.

Back