• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Maynard/New owner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a likely unissued Maynard at the gun show today. Bluing and case coloring appear 95 percent-plus. Small crack in the stock about five inches long but doesn’t go through - eminently repairable. I took it home for under $2K. (Boy I hope I didn’t pay too much.) Now I need to find brass. My pics are under bad lighting and don’t do this gun justice. Maybe I can get better pics tomorrow.

I saw in an older thread someone used a Smith carbine bullet (maybe Eras Gone?) in their Maynard. Any reason not to?

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    1.7 MB
Last edited:
Now THAT'S a dandy!! $2K is right in line for a good condition Maynard's, so you done just fine. Your crack don't look to bad, easily repairable with some adheasive and clamping.

Maynard's patent breech-loading cavalry carbines are a hoot and then some. Confederates loved them and considered them a highly accurate, dependable arm.

Here’s mine:

B37E57CE-1C90-4581-AEE5-9B5880919926.png

2119A557-C326-4C9A-8337-DFDF813D2716.png

S&S firearms can hook you up with Maynard cases, Maynard bullets, and a cartridge loading gadget.

Happy shooting!!

Last edited:
I finally picked up cases and bullets and loaded 50 cartridges tonight for the range tomorrow. The bullets came from Dixie Gun Works and seem very close to the pics of originals that I’ve found online.

I’ve been a bit disappointed with the accuracy of my other carbines, a Smith (Pietta), a Sharps (Garret), and an original Burnside. I’m really hopeful that this Maynard will do well. If it does, I’ll order a custom mold to match the originals.

Wish me luck fellers!

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    1.9 MB
My Maynard isn't as pretty. :( But I got a Maynard. :D

And mine’s not nearly as pretty as @smokey Plainsman’s. But isn’t it all about the shooting? Owning old firearms is cool but being able to shoot them - now that’s cool.

So Cynthia (if I may call you that - you may call me Kim) get that thang out and shoot ‘er. Then please share results. I intend to post my results tomorrow, unless they’re so bad I would embarrass myself to do so. 😬

When I first posted I made a bit of an overstatement about the case hardening colors on my Maynard. The bluing is mostly there and a deep color but the case hardening colors are faded. They are evident everywhere they should be just not real bright. Considering that most of the examples I’ve seen in the same condition online and one other gunshow example are all about two times what I paid for mine - or more - I’m pretty pleased with what I have. After shooting it in the morning I’ll find out if it makes me any happier.

Latest posts

Back