• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm New and I WANT A Walker 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just ordered a Great Plains 54 and can't wait for it to get here. I am completely new to Black Powder and purchased a used Great Plains .54 about a month ago. You might say I'm hooked!

There doesn't seem to be a large Black Powder community here in Southern California.

I want a Walker 44 used. How much should I expect to pay for a good gun?

Expect to pay well over $1000 for a really nice second generation Colt Walker in its box down to $200 for a good Uberti version. I'd skip the off brand models and stick with a Uberti unless you want to spring for the Colt.

If you are in San Diego County look up S. D. Co. Muzzleloaders they shoot in 4 different areas around the county from Pine Valley to Escondido.

And I second the Uberti. The best copy out there.

P.

I own a Uberti and love it! You cant go wrong with the Walker, a solid and very impressive revolver!

I picked up a 2nd gen Colt walker, unfired with box and papers for $450. there are good deals out their, just got to look for them. I bought a 2nd gen Colt 61 navy for $400 at the same shop later on. Their are some good deals on used Uberti's also.

A Walker is a great pistol. Flame and smoke, flame and smoke. It's also great fun outshooting a whole bunch of 9mm automatics designed and made this year with a repro of an 1847 Horse Pistol (a lot of fun).

Mike F

If you get the chance to shoot someone elses Walker before you buy your own, go for it. The Walker just doesn't work for some folks. It doesn't fit me at all and I can't hit squat with it. I've met a few others with the same complaint. That's not a knock against the gun, but rather pointing out that it's ergonomics don't work for some of us.

I don't know if it's the weight (4 1/2 pounds) or the length, but I found myself letting the muzzle drop when I shoot -- I am more of a pointer than an aimer. Found myself shooting really low! When I began reminding myself to keep the muzzle up, I found the pistol surprisingly accurate.

Somehow the word 'ergonomics' just doesn't fit with the word "Walker'.

But yes, you gotta have the 'right' combination of fingers, wrist, forearm, upper arm, shoulder, chest and eyes to fully appreciate a Walker.

I have smaller-sized hands myself. I overcame the obstacles that come with that AND the sheer size of the Walker by practicing aiming / pointing it in my livingroom while watching TV with the Mrs. :shocked2: . I told her that I needed to practice so that I could do well in competition :wink: . Now she's so used to it, she hardly notices anymore :) .

Seriously though, I do practice in the livingroom with all of my black powder handguns, paying paticular attention to the one that I'll use for the upcomming match.

So far, it seams to work for me!

Dave

Same thing happened to me when I first got mine! To solve this problem, I use the pointer finger (on the hand not holding the grip) to support the weight of the big gun, thus stabilizing it. Then I had to concentrate on not reacting (flinching) as I squeezed the trigger until the hammer snapped the cap. Once you can do this, you can win competitions with the big wheelgun :wink: .

Later, when the League I'm in did the NRA Black Powder Pistol Qualification Matches, I had to learn this technique of just letting the hammer fall while shooting with the strong hand only as per NRA standards. So far have made the Sharpshooter Class, shooting both 25 yd and 50 yd targets. It hasn't been easy. Anticipating the BLAST & BOOM was my biggest problem. A couple boxes of balls later and I'm O-K :surrender: .

It's definately a crowd gatherer when the Walker sounds off! :)

Dave

Back