• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Images - Scottish Long guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, actually, there's 14 kids on the block with these. I made the last two for myself, totaling 16 Scottish long guns -some rifles, the rest smoothbores. Two were late 16th century snapping matchlocks, one snaphunce with a 34" swamped cannon shaped brass barrel. Most went to Track where they disappeared into the ether. A few went to friends. As for dimensions, all thats available is a page in the book Scottish Firearms giving overall length, barrel length ,and bore size of the 28 surviving pieces. Interesting, but of little use. I spent years studying the pictures in my books before finally putting chisel to wood. I've made many muzzeloading guns before these, however, so the basic skill in metal and wood were already there. Anyway ,no two are alike. That means one can make them any size desired. Keep in mind, we will never know what the thousands that were destroyed looked like. What is important is to strictly adhere to the style. The stock style didn't change in 100 years but the locks went thru a slow evolution of becoming more steamlined and English looking. I do believe the recently discovered Scottish musket is a final step in the Scottish snaphunce style before they abandoned that system in the early 18th century. When I finish the lot I've started (F&I-W and some civil war pieces), I would like to make a few more Scottish guns, the breech loading rifle being one of them. Hope that helps have a great new year. G.S.

The real testament in these guns is that they are not really my thing, but they look so good I caught myself thinking about building one. Pure eye candy.

Razorbritches,building one would greatly honor thoes ancient articifers of Inverness.thanks for your post,and to all who have chimed in so far.G.S.

+1 GS. Just showed the pictures to my wife(not a shooter or builder, but one of those women who can instinctively choose the most expensive piece of any collection without the least bit of intimate knowledge) and she said "Wow, those are beautiful", tell him I said so. So, there you go.

Thanks to everyone for your great comments and questions. To help illustrate better the size and proportions and weight of these guns, here are some pics. Two views of S.G.#15 next to an early 19th century Virgina state military rifle. As long as I had the camera out, I took some shots of some newly minted locks. The 1650's dutch flintlock was made completly from a Chambers lock makers kit - total build time of 10 hours. The matchlock is made from steel purchased from the hardware store - build time about 8 hours. These were both made this week. Good health and prosperity to all this new year. G.S.
PO20121230_0003_zps98b2c1e0.jpg
[/img]
PO20121230_0002_zps26f2e6c1.jpg
[/img]
PO20121230_0006_zps7a81a27d.jpg
[/img]
PO20121230_0004_zps762c6e60.jpg
[/img]

Beautiful locks GS. Especially that dutch lock. Its hard to tell, is the ramrod exposed all the way to the incised lines by the lock on those Scotts guns? If ya get a chance a photo of the bottom would be cool.

Good qwestion, yes the hole for the ramrod enters right at those lines.Meaning one only has to drill a short distance.Il get you some images of the bottom tomrow .Il see
what eles i can throw in.G.S.

Smoothbore Addict. OK,got some shots of the bottoms of s.g.,#15,#16. You can see the ramrod entry is very near the lock mortise. Also, the butt plates, these are made of 20 gauge sheet steel. The square head nails are made by filing round nails square. I file all four corners and the top, then wirewheel each one. Threw in an image of my flask, its wood painted black, brass spout and trim. Finally, we found some poor quality images of one of the 16th century scottish snaping matchlocks. Made 2, these were both smoothbores, 20 and 58 cal. One was painted black (not pictured). The one in the photo has a rose wood butt, some of the scottish long guns had exotic woods for butt plates and extensions of the butt. Original Scottish guns were stocked in Brazil wood but also some in Elm, Beech and Walnut. G.S.
PO20121231_0000_zps0bb51ad8.jpg
[/img]
PO20121231_0001_zps5e54a84d.jpg
[/img]
PO20121231_0002_zps8f10cb75.jpg
[/img]
PO20121216_0004_zps42780ea1.jpg
[/img]
PO20121216_0000_zpsd492773b.jpg
[/img]

Back