• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Impressions after shooting the brown bess carbne.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1729983220806.png
I have found this musket very pleasent to shoot once I compleated the build. As you can see here I was able to keep all 4 shots of my group on a torso sized target at 30 yards. The three shot group at the top shows the gun has a lot of promice when it comes to accuracy. The ball that went to the bottom left was my fault not the gun's. I am sure once I work up a load for it I can do much better. I was useing a .735 round ball and 90 grains of Elephant brand FF which I know is not the best powder but is what I have right now. The gun wanted to shoot high as I was aiming for the center of the board in the picture but given the taper of the barrel and shorter length this is to be expected.

View attachment 358136 I have found this musket very pleasent to shoot once I compleated the build. As you can see here I was able to keep all 4 shots of my group on a torso sized target at 30 yards. The three shot group at the top shows the gun has a lot of promice when it comes to accuracy. The ball that went to the bottom left was my fault not the gun's. I am sure once I work up a load for it I can do much better. I was useing a .735 round ball and 90 grains of Elephant brand FF which I know is not the best powder but is what I have right now. The gun wanted to shoot high as I was aiming for the center of the board in the picture but given the taper of the barrel and shorter length this is to be expected.
Try a little bigger charge, it might tighten your group a bit. Service charge was a little higher it seems and elephant is a lower energy powder
But…. That’s great for deer and plinking and first shots even better
That’s a super good looking gun

Try a little bigger charge, it might tighten your group a bit. Service charge was a little higher it seems and elephant is a lower energy powder
Those where my first offhand shots. I used news paper as wadding and was shooting bare ball. Come tax time Ill get some swiss or more premium powder and wads and actually take a rest and see what the gun can really do. Thank you btw I took a week or so finishing her she came as a kit.

Depending on what era, the service charge could be over 150 grs under a .69-.71 ball

Where did you find Elephant black powder at?!?! I have an empty can around here somewhere…..

Back