• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Impressive Follow thru

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biliff

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought this guys follow thru was pretty impressive. He's shooting a smoothbore tradegun for a candle shoot (Spring Thaw 2010 at Littlerock, Wa) has one hell of a hangfire and still snuffs the candle.

Looks like fun Bill!

That rocklock seemed to take a while.

How many people blow away the candles and how do you keep them lit? Is is a special wick or something?

Dave

smokin .50 said:
How many people blow away the candles and how do you keep them lit? Is is a special wick or something?

Dave

The candles sit in a box that has a cloth backing on it to cut the wind.

You have to snuff the flame without hitting the candle. Miss and out. Suprisingly, nobody actually hit a candle on this shoot, but one guy did hit the block of wood a candle was sitting on. We started shooting at about 15 yards and moved back 5 yards every relay. Think we were at about 40 yards when done so a fair number of people we're snuffing the flame.

Between relays, someone walks down and relights the candles. There are no " special effects". I describe how to do this " trick " in my article on Off-hand and Trick Shooting, which you can find under "Articles", towards the top of the index page to this forum, under Member Resources. Its not an easy trick, but its not that difficult, either.

If you are doing this kind of thing before an audience, you probably need to cut that final distance in half, so that the Audience, Kept behind the firing line, can see the candles clearly. Otherwise, they don't know what you are shooting at, until a candle flame goes out, and then, because they are looking at another candle, they missing seeing it snuffed!

Unless, of course, you do this kind of demonstration at NIGHT. Then it really gets fun! :grin: Night shooting requires the shooter learn how to use the candle light to find both his front and rear sights! He cleans and loads his gun in the dark. Then he has to align both sights with the candle and snuff the flame, without hitting the wick, or the candlestick.(DQ in most contests) :hmm: :thumbsup:

That was a REAL HANGFIRE I was waiting to shoot and I thought he had a no go then bang.By the way those peewee gongs were at 25 yards and if I remember correctly thats about where it ended.I can't recall a candle shoot getting much beyond 25 yds.By the time it gets out that far its usually so dark its as Paul said sort of guess work on the aiming at least for my 85 yr old eyes.If you have never shot at a candle shoot give it a try its fun.The rules are simple snuff the candle without hitting it,one dollar entry fee with 2 buybacks everybody shoots in rotation until you snuff the candle when everyone has hit or is out after 3 attempts,move the box back and the survivors go again,when only one survives he wins.Some Rendys split the pot with the winner others give the entire pot to the winner.Obviously the more candles the quicker it goes, at our Rendy we set up 8.

Hey, That's me! That was the first candle shoot I've ever won. It was quite a hangfire, but the old Ron Gueldner Fusil stayed on target for me, it's a great weapon.

The photobucket version doesn't do the hangfire justice. Must compress the video or something when you upload the file. The original video shows a much more pronounced hangfire.

I'm the guy you ended up beating. You would have to pick that night to win your first candle shoot. :grin:

Think you also nudged me out of third place in the trade gun by 0.1 point. You must have shot a 10 on the tie breaker.

See! I TOLD you this video was out there! Even if I DID tell you it was on the wrong forum...under the wrong sub-area...with the wrong title....but I was right! :blah:

Back