• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In hot water?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This barrel is on a .45 caliber cap lock that was made by me in 1973 and last shot and cleaned in 2002 before I went to shooting flintlocks most of the time. The barrel was wiped with WD-40 before it went into the safe many years ago. I recently purchased a Teslong bore scope and wanted to see what this gun's barrel looked like after all these years. Here is what I found; The breach area looked good except for the drum threaded hole which showed some strange amber "gunk" around the hole. The lands looked ok but there were some strange amber streaks in the grooves it was not rust. My guess is that it is WD-40 that has dried in the grooves and turned into some kind of varnish like residue. It is tough to remove with only a patch on a jag. I tried some 4/0 steel wool but the brush with the steel wool wrapped on it did not get into the corners of the grooves very well as seen in the picture. I am learning how to use this bore scope and hope my pictures will get better in the future.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

Holland and Holland, the old time British Gun Maker, in a letter to a friend of mine, stated that boiling hot water can have a glazing effect on lumps of fouling, instead of dissolving them as cold water does.

I discovered this years ago too. Room temperature water cleans quicker, and as good as hot water.
Hope you traditional guys realize ,back in the day boiling water was for coffee (NOT )fouling removal as (pee was right there and right temperature when needed) and plentiful when injuns were about!!~ Starting fires was time consuming and a beacon for anyone lookin for scalps (in short supply at times) !
Ed

Hope you traditional guys realize ,back in the day boiling water was for coffee (NOT )fouling removal as (pee was right there and right temperature when needed) and plentiful when injuns were about!!~ Starting fires was time consuming and a beacon for anyone lookin for scalps (in short supply at times) !
Ed
Not only that, but sometimes finding dry enough wood to build a fire, or keep a fire going, during wet conditions might not have been easy.

Probably save the patch after.. re_use the same cleaning and oil patches all year.
But in the winter the water might freeze in the bbl. Did you ever get your hand stuck to a freezing gun? I did in a duck blnd, took hot coffee from a thermos to get loose. Kinda stung.
My guess is many of Mountain men used cold water right out of a creek or lake to clean their ML’s.

But in the winter the water might freeze in the bbl. Did you ever get your hand stuck to a freezing gun? I did in a duck blnd, took hot coffee from a thermos to get loose. Kinda stung.
I don't know really..

I think the men that were out there.. did they even need a musket most days or at all?

you would have to be able to do without it.

I heard they were used just for bear defense in natives country somewhere.

Even if your worried about the grizzly bear..

You going to try putting one down charging you.. waist time aiming as it's getting close you know. Would the gun put down a charging grizz. "Charging".

Dry time on sink hot water is good though..

Boiling is a fast dry.

Cold.. just a couple patches and it's dry.

It's nothing to do either or really..

The sink has hot water. Takes maybe a min to warm up..

The stove doesn't take long to boil water.

started using the same 2 jug of dirty and clean water all season because.

one day I didnt want to bother with.. boiling more water...

Then sink hot.. I didn't want to wait for that either.

Last edited:
Back