• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

in search of resources on French colonial trade fusils

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have acquired about everything TOTW has for offer on the subject and have found a book dating to 1971 on firearm components recovered at Ft. Michlinakinac in MI but was wondering if there are any good resources I've overlooked? Also interested in any pictures anyone is willing to share of original guns.

"The French Trade Gun in North America 1662-1759" by Kevin Gladysz. Mostly about guns from St.- Etienne.

KH said:
Also interested in any pictures anyone is willing to share of original guns.

Not sure if that is what you're looking for, but here are some pics from an original 1690 TVLLE, taken at a Museum in Paris/France.

20226837am.jpg

20226838by.jpg

20226839oi.jpg

20226840ud.jpg

20226841wz.jpg

20226842jx.jpg

20226843eb.jpg

20226844nl.jpg

Ike

Ike,

REALLY enjoyed looking at those pics! Thank you.

Wow, I thought the flint jaws on the Cock of a P1730 British Musket were large, but those look almost gigantic! Of course it could be a matter of perspective if the lock is slightly smaller in proportion.

Gus

I am sorry not to be able to provide any better pics. But it was forbitten to make pictures in the museum. This pics have been made with a cellphone. so light and perspectives are not the best.

Ike

I definitely second 54ball's recommendation on "Colonial Frontier Guns" by T.M. Hamilton. It has MANY photos and drawings of original guns, parts and excavated parts.

However, what I have found truly impressive about the book is the research and information on period shot, balls, flints and even Gauges that were used during the period. The information comes from both research, inspection of originals and the archeological record. The Gauges have to do with GO and NO GO gages the author found in Europe and especially what was most likely the 18th century French Gauges.

Though I have paid more to a LOT more for 18th century resource books, this one is inexpensive and chock full of GREAT stuff. A lot of info in this book is not covered nearly as well in other books.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/278/1/BOOK-CFG

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sir. :hatsoff:

To me it shows clearly one thing: those TVULLE fusils have not been as light weight as anyone is going to tell me. The TVLLE was about 9 pounds! Thats close to a LLP in weight.

From seeing this I understood some modern day made TVLLE copies look as small as "air guns" compared to that original one.

Ike

There can be some confusion in thinking a "Tulle" is a specific model of French smoothbore made at one time to one set of specifications. The variety among guns marks "Tulle" is far greater than the changes over time in the Long Land Pattern.

Back