• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In the heat today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think it ever got hot in Britain. I was watching the Scottish Open today and most were wearing jackets. (I know, Scotland is farther north.)

Patocazador said:
I didn't think it ever got hot in Britain. I was watching the Scottish Open today and most were wearing jackets. (I know, Scotland is farther north.)

Sure it can. Also in Scotland. The jet stream only has to go north past us a little and gets hot. It usually does not last though so keep a hat and coat to hand.

B.

OMG, the HIGH (in the Midlands at least) was 79 degrees (F) with an 11 MPH wind... How ever did you, and the kit, make it through such extremes intact? And did you shoot the birds or did they just die and fall out of the sky due to this global warming!?

:rotf:

:wink:

Alden said:
OMG, the HIGH (in the Midlands at least) was 79 degrees (F) with an 11 MPH wind... How ever did you, and the kit, make it through such extremes intact? And did you shoot the birds or did they just die and fall out of the sky due to this global warming!?

The word is relative Alden!
Today it is blowing a cool wind and overcast, we are not really use to the temps you guy's often get. The important thing is the sentiment, not the values of temperature! That is why the temps were not added in the posting as it would be meaningless to a lot of the States.
I do hope this does not make us seem a joke in your eyes, that would be a shame :blah:

B.

I've lived all over the states as many have and we know where you are coming from, some good natured ribbing aside. It gets really hot here but it's dry. Dry is better but it still gets hot, none the less. I'd much rather cool as you can always add clothing but can only take off so much.

A woman we know is married to a guy in the Navy. They were stationed in Scotland for a couple of years and one summer she said it got so hot that it set all kinds of records and people were passing out in numbers. She said the hottest it got was 81 deg. F.

Did I tell you my future-ex-GF is English? We were spending Christmas Eve at a hotel in Rockefeller Center across the street from The Tree and I pointed out it was 11-degrees. She couldn't believe it was that warm!

'course she was thinkin' Celsius, the poor, cold, thing... That fact didn't dawn on her though till we were at The Top of the Rock building a little later, overlooking all of NYC from observation decks 70 stories up, including this outdoor one, where blown drizzle was instantly freezing to any glass or metal it touched in pretty waves she noticed.

At least I didn't INTEND to deceive her like a certain Briton around here did us... Ahem!

Hear it's not easy being green,
But what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practice to deceive!

PS: ...didn't accuse the whole nation, just one, perspiring, subject.

Britsmoothy said:
Today it is blowing a cool wind and overcast, we are not really use to the temps you guy's often get. The important thing is the sentiment, not the values of temperature! That is why the temps were not added in the posting as it would be meaningless to a lot of the States.
I do hope this does not make us seem a joke in your eyes, that would be a shame :blah:

B.

One year I moved some folks out of a home near Mt. Saint Helen (Helens???) the whole town was in a tizzy because it was like 86 (the radio **no Kidding** was talking about how the elderly should get into a tub of cool water). About every neighbor on the block gave us water & told us to watch out for heat stroke. Less then 2 weeks later we were in Tucson Az. it was 109, the shipper said we were lucky because it had been really hot earlier in the week. :idunno: :rotf:

So your story of the heat went over well in the north/west, not so much so in AZ. I'm guessing :grin:

Sean;
Brit was hiding in the A/C while it was in the mid-70's until it got overcast and the wind picked up. As though it was Death Valley. Only THEN was it safe to go out into that Sahara and shoot dehydrated animals fooled into lethargy by mirage and their search for relief from the blazing heat...

Alden said:
Sean;
Brit was hiding in the A/C while it was in the mid-70's until it got overcast and the wind picked up. As though it was Death Valley. Only THEN was it safe to go out into that Sahara and shoot dehydrated animals fooled into lethargy by mirage and their search for relief from the blazing heat...

Mostly the point I got out of that was ....he went hunting & I have weeks yet to wait until a season opens in Colorado :(

If it weren't for the new flintlock I'm going back to pick up this weekend I'd be all jealous of him. But I am...so I'm not :blah: well ok just a bit, I mean dang my last hunt was in February, I got the shakes from withdrawals. :grin:

Sean Gadhar said:
Alden said:
Sean;

Mostly the point I got out of that was ....he went hunting & I have weeks yet to wait until a season opens in Colorado :(

If it weren't for the new flintlock I'm going back to pick up this weekend I'd be all jealous of him. But I am...so I'm not :blah: well ok just a bit, I mean dang my last hunt was in February, I got the shakes from withdrawals. :grin:

maybe I should bug out a while if I am stumbling my brothers and encouraging a works of the flesh!

Alden....you need water, your losing your senses!
Dont have A/C....not hot enough, remember.
You are so manly and much bigger a man than me. It just a shame that I refuse to bow to your superior sophistication.

Not hot enough for A/C? But isn't it all relative!? My Fedders would be cranked up when it went over the average July/August high there of 64F. I mean the mid 70’s in the shade... The horror! Yet you bravely sallied forth, mad dog and Englishman. Dauntless.

Some guns were called the great equalizer here Brit. Men of any stature can pull a trigger. But should he? For example:

You’re personally proud you and your puppy practiced, plotted, planned, and potted a pair of poor, pathetic, pained, panting pigeons perched prostrate on the parched plains? Perfectly pitiful!

I'm just glad you had the knowledge, skills and attitude not to succumb "in the heat today" and get them before they got you.

'course you also coulda gone to Piccadilly Circus with a brolly as well as two breadcrumbs and just kicked a couple to death...

Britsmoothy said:
maybe I should bug out a while if I am stumbling my brothers and encouraging a works of the flesh!

Wait! I'm getting through the summer with water melon, a swamp cooler, and living vicariously by way of hunting photos posted here! :grin:

Please excuse my brothers' lack of common courtesy, some are still fighting the American War for Independence. I believe all visitors to the Forum should act like gentlemen and disregard those who have historical and superiority issues, and focus on the comradeship and sharing of ideas the Forum offers so abundantly, and uniquely. George B.

Back