• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In Your Opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Who was the best gun builder that ever lived? :hmm:

I know it's all personal opinion and conjecture, but who do you think is/was the best of the best?

Pick an era, any era...

Can't you ask a more simplified question like:

"What is the meaning of life?"

Really, now!

Really, now!

Just intrested in what people think is the best, your opinion matters...

Patrick Ferguson, even though he probably never picked up a chisel, rasp, scraper, gouge, gimlet, plane, spokeshave in his life and had to have real gunsmiths make his gun for him. At least he gave us the best flintlock breech-loader of its time. All he really needed was a polymer fibre-glass reinforced MacMillan stock that wouldn't break. :crackup: OK, I'm partial to millet-tree gonnes.

Ever was? I don't know, but that fellah makin' the NRA presentation rifles ain't half bad. :master:

Hollywood will have us believe that the Hawken brothers were the best of the best...

Who would agree with that?

Any takers?

You didn't specify genre... so here's my $.02.

John Moses Browning did more for the firearm world than any other, period. IMHO, the 1911 .45ACP to this day is the best combat pistol ever conceived. His machine guns still set the standard for today.

Now, if you restrict it to muzzleloading... then I have no idea, but I would think Armstrong is high on the list.

Gunbuilders and smiths I don't know about, but Meaning of life???

Easy.

Fourty-Two

vic

I don't know, that's most likely because of Hollywood's influence on a modern public.....this is a tough question.

I think Hershal House is unique in that he forged a name for himself in this modern day, so did his brother Frank (he's a neat guy by the way)

I've also seen other works, there's a guy named Nettle (I think) in Ohio some where....he does some unique and interesting stuff....

I bet you've never heard of this guy before: Baron Von Blahman, a distant relative from the Black Forest area!

Perhaps we should qualify our answers with a reference to time and place. We can talk about the finest gun in the American Revolution but it may not be suitable for work among the line infantry. Best for what and when? The heavier barrel mountain rifles were certainly better suited for the trappers of the Fur Trade era (post Lewis & Clark fur trade era) than the Pennsylvania Long Rifle. But they're not the prettiest if you use that criteria. Wallace Gusler's made the most gussied up gun (extensive wire inlay, relief carved, engraved metal work) I've ever seen for modern times (Check out, "Three Centuries of Tradition").

The slug gun makers that I think were very good were Brockway, Reinhard. There was a gun make, John Smith at Hessville, Ohio that made some nice guns.

Gun builder I think Rupp. Gun designer, Where do you start?
Colt, Browning, Maxim, Mauser, Rugar. everyone did his own thing very well. :imo:
Lehigh..

Perhaps we should qualify our answers with a reference to time and place.

Exactly...uhhh...if we say...1970 in New Hampshire...that would be Mr. Thompson and Mr. Center
:crackup: :: :crackup:

Gunbuilders and smiths I don't know about, but Meaning of life???

Easy.

Fourty-Two

vic

Forty two? Fourty-two? 42? Are you givin' away your age?

I'm not sure or who the best maker was, but I am sure he came out of Berk's County! ::

Shotguns--the Mantons, both of 'em. It's a toss-up

American Longrifles--John Armstrong for decoration
Jacob Dickert for architecture

The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, as everyone should know is--42.

::

Cruzatte

Back