• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In Your Opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beretta has been making some of the world's finest firearms for nearly 500 years, and still going strong.

I agree, John Moses Browning. Not only did he invent the 1911 .45 , but he also invented several of Winchester's rifles and the first dependable pump shotgun. Let's not forget the BAR. This is the stuff legends are made of. The 1911A was so far ahead of it's time, the U.S.ARMY used it for their official sidearm for over 60 years. :m2c:
The meaning of life: Life is a dream, you awaken when you die.

Pope fits in the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars - at least he did for a short while before the '06 earthquake encouraged him to git. Pope is a little too late for the flintlock era.

John Moses Browning

His M2 .50 cal. still IS the standard for today!

He gets my vote, too. The Ithaca M37 (Deerslayer), Winchester 1886, 1890, 1892, 1894 and 1895 lever actions, Browning semi shotgun, 1911 pistol, M1917 .30 cal & M2 .50 cal machine guns, BAR "assault rifle", M35 HiPower, dozens more rifles, pistols, shotguns.

Where would Arnold be without Brownings' L/A 1887 shotgun from the T2 movie?

You didn't specify genre... so here's my $.02.

John Moses Browning did more for the firearm world than any other, period. IMHO, the 1911 .45ACP to this day is the best combat pistol ever conceived. His machine guns still set the standard for today.

Now, if you restrict it to muzzleloading... then I have no idea, but I would think Armstrong is high on the list.

Not too mention his shotguns, lever actions, and the High Power.

but Meaning of life???

Easy.

Fourty-Two

I never trusted the mice.

Oops sorry, I replied before I got that far, but I'd cast my vote for Mr. Browning as well. Nobody else ever designed so many different types of guns. The only service weapon ever to exceed the longevity of the M2 and the 1911 was the Brown Bess, but that'll change before the M2 is replaced.

Who was the best gun builder that ever lived? :hmm:

I know it's all personal opinion and conjecture, but who do you think is/was the best of the best?

Pick an era, any era...

I'd have to say Browning, tho my fav guy will always be Garand. He made the prefect battle rifle.
Oh yeah Im bias, I own one.

I am kind of partial to Garand myself.Don't own one don't want to,but I packed one for a couple of years and you are right they are a good combat rifle.

Browning's father was a gunsmith, too. When 'Lil John was a teenager, he complained to his father about the way the gun he was repairing was made. His father said; Well, why don't you make one that works better? . And SOOOO, it began. :master:

I am kind of partial to Garand myself.Don't own one don't want to,but I packed one for a couple of years and you are right they are a good combat rifle.

Incredibly accurate rifle for[url] sure...in[/url] the 90's I bought a Springfield Armory Garand that was made in the 70's or 80's, still in like new condition...what a rifle...put a whole clip into an 8.5" x 11" sheet of notebook paper at 300yds the first time I took it to the range...no other sound like the distinctive sound of that clip ejecting after the last round fires!
:redthumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I was thinking BP.

Mr. Kalishnakov (sp) would be my choice. Most tested weapon in history and it's still going strong.

Mr. Kalishnakov (sp) would be my choice. Most tested weapon in history and it's still going strong.

Bah... yes, the AK is a great weapon, but compared to Browning, it's just a drop in a bucket. :imo: :peace:

As a fan of the single action wheel guns, my vote in that category would be Sam Colt in the 19th century, and in our own time, Bill Ruger who kept the tradition alive and engineered the most robust and reliable hog legs ever made.

Who was the best gun builder that ever lived? :hmm:

I know it's all personal opinion and conjecture, but who do you think is/was the best of the best?

Pick an era, any era...

I'd have to say Browning, tho my fav guy will always be Garand. He made the prefect battle rifle.
Oh yeah Im bias, I own one.

I vote for the Garand as well, and I wouldn't mind owning one....a perfect way to round out a collection.

The ones I am familiar with were made in the 40's 1940's that is.They did make a loud noise when the clip was ejected you could also get an affliction known as M-1 thumb if you weren't careful putting the clip in or otherwise fooling with the breech.

Back