• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Increased Predator Population

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brain Storming !!! just some have a bigger Storms than others,Hurricane season is just around the corner,

So I am thinking about selling off some of the cheaper guns I have and picking up a Uberti Walker or their 3rd model Dragoon knock off.

Thinking 5 chambers of 30-40 grains of 3f and a conical is plenty of whoopass for any errant critters.

My Dad had a Walker and I got to shoot it a few times. So there is a big nostalgia pull here. I remember that stupid loading lever being a problem but a leather strip fixes that issue.
Dragoon is a bit lighter and more evolved in design...but I can't cram 60 grains of 3f and a roundball in that pistol. The 50 grains it can chamber is more than plenty though. Can those shorter 7.5-9 inch barrels even cook that much powder?
Then I think why not just go with a Remington New Army? It can take a 30 grain powder charge and chamber a conical...

I'll vote for the Remington New Army. I have one and love mine. 30 grains of powder behind each of six bullets will give you plenty of undesirable critter "whoop ass".

Oops, my bad, I said I was going to goose step out of this thread. Here I go....bye. :hatsoff:

I've handled and shot a lot of traditional style black powder revolvers, and frankly all of them make me a little nervous when stuffing lots of powder into them. My twitch, but also my hands and eyes.

If forced to relinquish the modern wheelgun, I'd go for the ROA. No it's not "traditional," but when it's my body parts on the line I'd be going for the more modern materials and design. I've been more than a little impressed with what it can do with heavier conicals and a stout powder charge.

And when it comes to depending on a tool for protecting my bod, I want to be impressed. :wink:

I have thought of a ROA as it gets past Sevan's arms embargo. (the house laws on firearms are much more strict than the laws of the land)

But the price tag and the lack of parts available, are really putting me off. For the price of a great condition stainless ROA I can get a pair of Dragoon and a throw away Derringer.
A lessor ROA would not suit me due to the afore mentioned lack of parts.

Im thinking Sevan and my wife must be pen pals, rules, embargos, inventory, heck she knows where more of my "stuff" is than I do (really :redface: ).

Has Sevan been chastised at the local gun store for too louldy suggesting you have too many guns? It'll happen! :rotf:

(sorry Richard Eames)

This year the regs say I can take any white tail buck and a 3 point or better Mule Deer. Like I would shoot a 3 point mule deer alone in the forest! I have a hard enough time porting out a small white tail.

Last couple years it was any deer. Those Does were good eating. I am going to try for one of the spike bucks, but I will shoot a larger deer if that is what god gives me.

In would check the local regs and see what is required so you may carry a concealed handgun. With that being said, a 357. Or larger comes to mind...sometimes just shooting in the air is enough to scare away the common bear, I als like the bear spray idea, but I'd go with the sidearm if I had a choice between the two.

BrownBear said:
I have to fess up about something.

In the 40+ years we've lived, hunted, fished and raised a family in Alaska our local bear population has doubled. In the first 20 years we NEVER saw them on the road system and now we expect it on every outing.

In the 20+ years we've owned our place in the Rockies we've managed the land for wildlife and as a result have more deer, elk and rabbits, and along with them more coyotes, bobcat and yes, mountain lions. Heck, we even had a pair of bobcats den and raise their litter, then teach them how to hunt within sight of the deck on our cabin.

And I love it all!

It just feels more real to me than a sterile predator-free world. Sure it adds a little spice to my life now and then, even having a mountain lion walk past 20' away while we were on the deck quietly drinking our coffee one morning.

They're doing their job helping keep a healthy natural population. I'll do my job in making room for them and respecting them while going about my own business. Sure I'll kill one if it ever comes down to a choice between me and them. Ain't happened yet, even with a lotta years living among predators. :hatsoff:
Well said, BrownBear, very well said, indeed. We need more people with your attitude.

Spence

Back