• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

indian trade pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlbrant

32 Cal.
Reaction score
were their any pistols exported from england during the 1750-1780 time period for trade with the southeastern indians? native americans in the va., nc, tenn. and s. carolina colonies. if so, what part of england and who made them?
thanks for the help! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I'm not aware of any pistol versions of the "trade gun" made specifically for the Indian trade. Certainly pistols got into Indian hands but I don't know of any made specifically for that trade.

Same here. Seems in some old back issue of the Fur Trade Quarterly had a trade pistol of some sort, but that I believe it was in Western Canada & later that the time period you want. Seems the natives wanted long guns & pistols were of little demand, or they would have been made & sold; traders back then really had little scruples about what they sold.

North Star West says their version of a Trade Pistol was copied from originals. They also get pretty specific about the side plate design and some of the other parts. It might do well to ask them more about their gun.

I have an early "Curly" pistol kit that I built in '82 but as far as being made for the Indian trade, that is something I have no information about.

Back