• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information on the Culloden Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking for information on the so called “Culloden Blunderbuss”, a blunderbuss that was recovered from the battle of Culloden in Scotland. Information on it is very limited but I was hoping someone knew the technical specs and dimensions of it as I’d like to replicate it sometime soon. Also if anyone has leads on blunderbuss barrels I’d gladly take them too. I apologize if this is the wrong thread but I couldn’t decide which one to post on. From what I have found, it was a brass barrel(clearly), was discovered with 18 balls in it(doesn’t specify size), is an English style Doglock so it was presumably captured by the Scot’s from the British at some point and from my guess it’s probably around a 20” barrel. Pictures of it are scarce as well. Thanks!
IMG_4803.jpeg

Strange how the dog latch is positioned hanging down like that. How is that lock resting at “Half cock” without the dog engaged? Unless the mainspring is missing or broken…
I’ve heard some of the English doglocks had a half cock notch as well as the external dog which was a manual safety of sorts so that could be why. Or knowing the way they operate over there they probably “deactivated” it

Sorry, no advice here but I am very curious about this blunderbuss. I lived in Scotland for a while and this is the first I have heard of it! Where is it located? Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Hello,

I’m looking for information on the so called “Culloden Blunderbuss”, a blunderbuss that was recovered from the battle of Culloden in Scotland. Information on it is very limited but I was hoping someone knew the technical specs and dimensions of it as I’d like to replicate it sometime soon. Also if anyone has leads on blunderbuss barrels I’d gladly take them too. I apologize if this is the wrong thread but I couldn’t decide which one to post on. From what I have found, it was a brass barrel(clearly), was discovered with 18 balls in it(doesn’t specify size), is an English style Doglock so it was presumably captured by the Scot’s from the British at some point and from my guess it’s probably around a 20” barrel. Pictures of it are scarce as well. Thanks!View attachment 331058

I would buy an original, they’re always for sale in live auction. The barrels were very heavy on originals, and probably can be shot with modest charges.

I doglock blunderbuss would be a custom made project, i would contact the rifle shoppe.

Hello,

I’m looking for information on the so called “Culloden Blunderbuss”, a blunderbuss that was recovered from the battle of Culloden in Scotland. Information on it is very limited but I was hoping someone knew the technical specs and dimensions of it as I’d like to replicate it sometime soon. Also if anyone has leads on blunderbuss barrels I’d gladly take them too. I apologize if this is the wrong thread but I couldn’t decide which one to post on. From what I have found, it was a brass barrel(clearly), was discovered with 18 balls in it(doesn’t specify size), is an English style Doglock so it was presumably captured by the Scot’s from the British at some point and from my guess it’s probably around a 20” barrel. Pictures of it are scarce as well. Thanks!View attachment 331058

I'm sure that Blunderbuss features in "The Swords and the Sorrows" a large booklet published in 1996 that lists weaponry captured at the 1746 battle of Culloden on Drummossie Moor. I'll have to dig through my library storage and find my copy.

That’s a pretty cool gun. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

There was, and hopefully still is, a barrel maker named Ben Coogle in Oglethorpe, Georgia who made all sorts of unusual barrels for the Rifle Shoppe and custom builders. His contact information is on the Rifle Shoppe website ( I just checked) but I don’t know how to post a link with this dadgum touchscreen device I’m using at the moment. Just Google “ben coogle barrel maker” and you should find his contact information.

The Rifle Shoppe also indicates Colerain makes custom barrels, which I did not know. It would not hurt to ask.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

That’s a pretty cool gun. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

There was, and hopefully still is, a barrel maker named Ben Coogle in Oglethorpe, Georgia who made all sorts of unusual barrels for the Rifle Shoppe and custom builders. His contact information is on the Rifle Shoppe website ( I just checked) but I don’t know how to post a link with this dadgum touchscreen device I’m using at the moment. Just Google “ben coogle barrel maker” and you should find his contact information.

The Rifle Shoppe also indicates Colerain makes custom barrels, which I did not know. It would not hurt to ask.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Ben is retired, I would contact Ed Rayl, he has a few blunderbuss patterns.

Back