• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inlines as intro to sidelocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hopefully I won't be banned for using the dreaded "I" word, but I'm curious -- how many of you started your ML shooting with inlines and then moved over to sidelocks?

Plastic muzzleloaders were just a daydream when I purchased my first longrifle for $75. In fact, It was the farthest thing from my mind. When I came back to the state after a number of years in the Navy, I was appalled to hear that a Muzzleloading season was available to guys shooting plastic rifles and sabots. I'm still bummed. It's like Archery hunting with a Rocket propelled grenade.

Regards
Wounded Knee

STILL ARE ONLY REAL MUZZLELOADERS...WEREN'T NONE OF THOSE OTHER THINGS AROUND WHEN I STARTED EITHER...PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE STARTED IF THAT'S ALL THERE WAS...JUST DON'T SEEM LIKE NO FUN AND NO CHALLANGE...LIKE THE OTHER DAY WHEN THAT SPIKE HORN STOOD THERE 35 YDS AWAY WHILE I TRIED 3 TIMES TO GET THAT FLINT TO SPARK...NEVER DID...MY FAULT, BUT YOU COULDN'T DO THAT WITH ONE OF THOSE "I ' THINGS...COOL MEMORY,JUST STOOD THERE..THINK HE WAS LAUGHIN......

AZ-Robert said:
Hopefully I won't be banned for using the dreaded "I" word, but I'm curious -- how many of you started your ML shooting with inlines and then moved over to sidelocks?

Inline, then Caplocks, then Flintlocks.

"Flintlocks.......The Real Deal"

Rebel said:
When i started there weren't no inlines, only real muzzleloaders.

:thumbsup: Same here and nothing has (or will) change in my little corner of the world anyway.

Sorry AZ-R and not to step on your toes, but a hard topic for this site (one of the reasons why we're all here).

Hay RC you're not the only one. I think I may have the record 6th cap fired the charge and made the kill. Had a lot of help from up stairs, started asking for help after the 3rd pop. Course it wasn't a smart old whitetail it was an Aoudad sheep, nice set of 30" horns, boy was I hopeing to get them but by number 6 I had little hope left. Shot fired animal went about 20 yards had a good story to tell at camp that night. One of the group thought it was some kid shooting fireworks and was about to go looking for him to make him be quiet.

I went Caplock, Flint, inline and back to Flint
Fox
Thats the fun of shooting these guns.
Fox :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

well silverfox, if i knew we were goin for a record i'd kept tryin! cept it weren't gonna be no fun after the spike left, i just changed the flint,looked up and a doe and 2 fawns walked out, seen the spike about 1/2 hr later bout 1/4 mile away from where i see him first, still chasin the same doe,only he wouldn't give me another chance..he was close but real fast...but i still got a week left..and a new flint! congrats on the sheep! must'a been shakin pretty good by round 6 heh?

when i started the only plastic muzzleloaders came with a small coon skin cap and a plastic bowie knife too. my first ml was a cva kentucky kit for my 16 birthday. we don't use the I word in my house.

Hey RC.
Haven't seen ya around in awhile.
Aren't these flinters a hoot!
Glad to hear your still tryin for a buck and hope you connect.
Ocourse we all expect to hear all about it when it happens.

Britches

I didn't start with one of them "I" things. I started, still use a T/C Renegade. One of the things I like about mine...I bought it from a feller that had it on the classifieds here...it came with both a cap and a flint sidelock. One of these days I will switch from the cap to the flint but first I need to get the thing of knapping under my belt. From all I read so far on it..it is a wee bit like me trying to understand greek.

I started with inline. It got too easy and boring. Now I shoot sidelock percussion and flint. Much more fun.

Huntin

I started muzzleloading when a friend of mine talked me into buying a used Knight in-line to use as an alternative during our shotgun season. I kept having ignition trouble, usually when aiming at deer. Of course it was my fault. Although I've had 2 kills with an in-line, I still became dismayed with it and sold it after two years.

I have two major disappointments when it comes to my Flintlocks:

1) That I didn't start using them 25 years ago;
2) That I can't shoot them more than once a week;

I started with a caplock for WV and a flintlock for PA back in the 70's. :hatsoff: No inlines at that time.
I live in WV and close to PA. A inline is a rifle with the BRASS. I have one I DON'T SHOOT IT MUCH, NOT AS NEAR AS MUCH FUN TO SHOOT. :(

I started out with a lyman trade rifle in flintlock! killed a nice six pionter with it my 2nd year of hunting. I still have this gun, but it's a caplock now. I wish I never converted it but I've got a bunch of other flinters. the only inline I own is an old h&r huntsman break action given to me by a guy who didn't like it. I've never shot it, I loan it out to folks who want to hunt m/l but are to lazy to learn how to use a real gun!

My first three ML guns were all T/C sidelock kits.

I did not see or hear of in-lines until years later while I was building a Tennessee classic kit.

CS

Like most of you, there weren't any inlines and not too many store bought traditional muzzleloaders when I started. My first one was a kit I bought for $50 at a JC Penneys catalog return store in Milwaukee, WI. Don't even remember what kind it was. Those weregood days. The only one in the hunting group with a black powder rifle and all the guys thought it was so cool. One of the guys wanted to trade me an old 38-55 Win and I wouldn't have it.

Back