• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inquiry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I never have contact with another virgin anything, it will be too soon! I have been buying the store brand of O.O. It tastes just fine, and lubes the frying pan for eggs better than most vegetable oils.

This is good advice. The only reason I'd season a rifle barrel would be that I wanted to eat it!

Does anybody run a patch of bore butter down the barrel after cleaning the gun and storing it until the next shooting trip?

Years ago I did and I found that bore butter makes a VERY POOR protection against rust. Almost worse than useless.

I switched to Birchwood Casey Sheath and sense they replaced it with Barricade that is what I now use. Good Stuff. :)

I do with my smoothbores, but I live in an air conditioned house, all year around, and I kept the guns in a cool, DRY closet. Zonie lives down in Arizona, I believe where its a lot hotter, and occasionally a lot more humid. I keep checking the guns for any evidence of rusting, and so far its working just fine. There are better products, such as Jim mentions, for storing guns over a long time, or in hotter, more humid conditions.

paulvallandigham said:
Zonie lives down in Arizona, I believe where its a lot hotter, and occasionally a lot more humid.

Humid??? In Phoenix??? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Relative humidity in Phoenix is often in the single digits.

The relative humidity varies considerably in Arizona, during the day. The state does get Ocean air currents coming off Baja California, and when it does rain, it often comes in gulley washers. Those changes can be very hard on any exposed metals. I grant that Arizona rarely sees the kind of cold and snow we get here in Illinois, and its annual rainfall is much less than here. I live in a band in the middle of Illinois, where the Great Lake Effect does not often get this far South, and where the Gulf Effect does not reach this far North. When we have had winter blizzards, they are just as likely to be the result of heavy winter storms in the Gulf as they are from an " Alberta Clipper". If you take a look at an Illinois map, Illinois Rte 17 meets Illinois Route 45 in Iroquois County near a small town called " Thawville". It got its name because it represents the dividing line between the Great Lakes effect, and the Gulf Effect. That is about 50 miles North of where I live. In the Blizzard of Jan. 1965, we drove OUT of the snow at Dwight, on Ill. Rte. 47, and Rt. 17. Literally, it was snowing on the South side of the Intersection and clear on the North side, as we crossed Rt. 17, heading home to the suburbs of Chicago.

This quirk in the weather, and our " Corn Belt" which is roughly 160 miles wide, running from Interstate 70 on the South, and Interstate 80 on the North are the reasons Illinois is such a successful producer of Corn and Soybeans.

Our heavy humidity comes usually in August, when you can watch late planted corn stalks actually grow before your eyes. Keeping rust off metal in August around here takes constant work, unless the metal is kept in an air conditioned environment. Some of us are old enough to remember surviving the summer heat by sitting in front of floor fans that blew air across a tray of water- sometimes with ice in it.

Boy, if my family only knew that the humidity in Arizona was so high, I'm sure they would move someplace drier...say, New Orleans.

When I made my previous post, I checked Weather Underground to see what the humidity was in both Phoenix, AZ and Champaign, IL. Phoenix was at 22%; Champaign was at 93%. Right now, Phoenix is at 29% RH; Champaign is at 37% RH. Talk about a considerable variation in humidity!

Just to demonstrate my point, here are charts plotting average relative humidity in Phoenix and Champaign for the year. The lowest average relative humidity in Champaign is only about 5% higher than the highest average relative humidity in Phoenix.

Phoenix, AZ. (Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html)
hum989.png

Champaign, IL. (Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/Champaign-Illinois.html)
hum5228.png

Some of us are old enough to remember surviving the summer heat by sitting in front of floor fans that blew air across a tray of water- sometimes with ice in it.

Don't have to be old to remember that. Hell, we did that through my childhood, and my wife and I did it until maybe 5 years ago, when we bought our first window air conditioner. I'd still rather use a fan and a tray of ice water than the air conditioner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speed Trap said:
Does anybody run a patch of bore butter down the barrel after cleaning the gun and storing it until the next shooting trip?

IMHO the best use of Bore Butter is to throw it out the back door at a barking dog. It WON'T prevent rust; it won't prevent much of anything. Any value is has is as a mediocre patch lube and there are better. In a climate controlled environment (dry) almost anything will help prevent rust. But why take chances? It does smell good, though.

I agree on the bore-butter! Still being pretty new here, I was using it as a lube, and as a protective coat after cleaning, and I was disappointed in both results(I have the old T/C manual that really talks up the "seasoning of the bore" and it was Paul V. that had written, "it's steel, not cast iron" and I have pretty much retired the bore-butter.

This kind of great info makes the learning curve a LOT shorter!

Mighty fine charts you posted fyrfyter43.
That says it pretty good about the humidity outside.
It doesn't say much about the humidity inside my house during part of the summer though.

I have both refrigeration and an evaporative cooler on my house so during the months of March thru June and Sept thru Nov I usually run the evaporative cooler.
These things are often called "swamp coolers" beause they work by evaporating water on the pads and then blowing the cooled air into the house.
During the times that I'm running the evap cooler the humidity inside my house varies from 40-60 percent. When it gets above 60 percent I switch to the refrigeration.
With the refrigeration on the humidity inside my house runs about 35-40 percent (and the electricity bill goes from $75/month to $330/month). :cursing:

Toss it my way I'm out and need to lube some wads and patches I made. :thumbsup:

Zonie said:
Mighty fine charts you posted fyrfyter43.
That says it pretty good about the humidity outside.
It doesn't say much about the humidity inside my house during part of the summer though.

I have both refrigeration and an evaporative cooler on my house so during the months of March thru June and Sept thru Nov I usually run the evaporative cooler.
These things are often called "swamp coolers" beause they work by evaporating water on the pads and then blowing the cooled air into the house.
During the times that I'm running the evap cooler the humidity inside my house varies from 40-60 percent. When it gets above 60 percent I switch to the refrigeration.
With the refrigeration on the humidity inside my house runs about 35-40 percent (and the electricity bill goes from $75/month to $330/month). :cursing:

Well now, that changes things a bit. :redface: However, the chart for Champaign, IL shows the humidity hits a low of roughly 58%. That's right in the same ballpark as your indoor high of 60%. It's possibly more humid in your house than in Paul's, but as a broad statement like Paul made, it certainly is NOT more humid in Phoenix than in Champaign, IL.

I do know a bit about the Phoenix area (and the lack of humidity). A good portion of my family lived in Apache Junction and/or Mesa for 20 years or so. I spent a good bit of time there visiting. Once my grandparents passed away, my aunt and uncle moved north to Payson, but still work in Mesa.

I also used to use Bore Butter as a short term rust preventative. I now use Ballistol; Barricade is at least as good, I believe, and based on Zonie's experience I may switch to that when my current supply of Ballistol runs out...

Bore Butter prevents rust by covering the bare metal and preventing oxygen from reacting with the iron in the steel. It does not displace water from the surface of the metal. If there's any water under the Bore Butter coating, the Bore Butter does no good. So, if you wish to use Bore Butter, be SURE the metal is completely dry first.

Back