• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing a breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker2

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What can I do when Installing a breech plug that will aid in it’s removal if and when it were ever needed? Teflon tape, some new anti seize grease? I have had to remove some breech plugs and had wished for something when replacing them.

Thanks
Tinker2

I use a coat of wax. I think the hard unbreeching often comes from the "bigger wrench" approach to breeching some take. It should not take great force to seat the breechplug. If it does, then usually the first couple of threads are getting mashed and that does not strengthen the breech.

I use anti-seize lube from Peratex. Available at your local auto supply store. Like Rich, I believe most removal problems are from someone crush fitting the breech plugs rather than file fitting.
Ken

I remove the first 2 threads at face of plug down to the root depth so they dont interfere when seating against bore . I use the Loctite silver antiseize and just an ever so light coat works wonders.

I have only had to pull the breech on one rifle in thirty years so don't worry too much getting it in and out. I usually use red Loc-tite to keep the threads from being gunked up with fouling. A little heat and it screws right out.

I have used anti-sieze on a couple of early rifles but haven't had them apart to see how well it worked.

rich pierce said:
I use a coat of wax. I think the hard unbreeching often comes from the "bigger wrench" approach to breeching some take. It should not take great force to seat the breechplug. If it does, then usually the first couple of threads are getting mashed and that does not strengthen the breech.

I think Rich is right. If the threads do not run all of the way to the end of the hole in the breach (at the face of the breach so to speak), the the first couple of threads on the plug will get distorted and then you have a problem.

I will have to go with Mike on the loc-tite. I took a seminar with reps from loc-tite at work.I ask him about putting it on breach plugs. He explained to me that threads are not the same between male and female. If they were they would not work. There has to be alittle slop. While its not an exact fit there has to be a small gap. So if there is a small gap you are inviting corrosion and in our case fouling to. loc-tite takes up that gap mateing both pieces. I use green and remove all my plugs a couple turns for browning. I don't have any problems looseing or rethreading.

Well, I am the one that does that
“someone crush fitting the breech plugs”.
When I fit a breech plug I make allowance for a .002 crush fit. No huh?

Anyhow, I have had to remove a number of breech plugs and want anything that I make, removable 200 years from now.

Thanks, all of you for your ideas and help. It is appreciated.

Tinker2

Back