• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

interested in flintlock pistol (loyalist arms?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm considering purchasing a flintlock pistol. I'm having trouble finding distributors, however. I am thinking about a few models from Loyalist Arms such as the early sea service pistol. Has anyone had any experience with this company? There prices seem reasonable. Do there pistols come completely assembled?

Also, does anyone know of any other companies making flintlock pistols similar to those sold by Loyalist Arms?

Does anyone on this board have one they are looking to sell?

Thanks,

I have this very model, Insurrectionist, but can't give you a product review as I've not fired it yet (I'm just a beginning BP shooter). The weapon LOOKS terrific. Acquiring it was slow, but I've been told that their service is normally a lot quicker. Anything people tell you about the alleged difficulty of importing it from Canada is bilgewater; Loyalist ships the lock in a separate box from the rest of the pistol; it takes a screwdriver, two minutes, and the mechanical aptitude of a turnip (I know because I HAVE the mechanical aptitude of a turnip) to assemble it.

It is a HEAVY piece, I will tell you that! Blackbeard was quite a guy if he wore half a dozen of these rascals in battle!

Capt. William

Alright. Thanks guys.

If anyone is out there who has had experience shooting this pistol or another similar pistol and would like to comment on accuracy, etc., I would appreciate it.

If it is a true Sea Service, it is a smoothbore and will shoot identical to any other. Learn to shoot it, hold it correctly, don't flinch and it should snuff a candle at 10 yards just about every time.
: www.militaryheritage.com also has these flint pistols & many others & due to the fact they don't drill the touchholes, they can ship anywhere. The vent, a 1/16" hole is not hard to drill in the side of the barrel, as the spot is already marked, if a bit low. Personally, I'd drill it at the table or slightly above the table for faster ignition.
: As they rent these to movie companies, the vents aren't drilled as several states as well as many countries wouldn't allow them to be shipped in if in working order. Therefore they aren't drilled. They are meant to be fired & require only that you drill the hole.

Captain William,

Just wondering if you've had a chance to shoot that pistol yet, if so, how does it do?

I just ordered one.

I have a similar interest...would you mind mentioning where you ordered yours from...and if it is 100% completely ready to load and fire, or a kit, or a partial kit?.
(I'm not interested in drilling any vent holes, etc)

I ordered it from Loyalist Arms (http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/handguns-01.html)

They wrote the following in reply to an email I sent them:

"They are fully functioning firearms made to fire live ammo( ball and black powder), the touch whole is drilled. The frizzen has excellent spark. Replacement parts are readily available. We keep these in stock. We will not sell a product, unless we can obtain replacement parts for either warranty or normal wear. We warranty all moving parts for 6 months free replacement & labor, and all springs are warranted for one year."

Unfortunately, haven't yet, Insurrection: what little free time we've been having lately we've been spending fishing! However, the old fishing hole is getting choked with (salvinia, I think they call it?) so bad you can barely put your hook in and take it out without getting snagged; so one weekend soon we've be going shooting.

Capt. William

Hi insurrection 1517 I have pistol i just finished. Its not for sale but it A nice kit.I copied the Jim Chambers pistol kit little bit. IT took me 2 mouths to build but i am a little slow. It came with l&r lock,12"barrel,maple stock.I have before&after picture,s but do not understand how to post them.It will shoot Dp can of rock 50yds

roundball, drilling the touch hole took me, a total klutz, less than 5 minutes, it can be done with any drill [i used a cordless makita] and they prepunch the hole site, so there's nothing to it; you only need to use an ordinary drill bit. [ i have trouble changing the toilet paper roll without losing the spring.. errrr, i mean the spring on the holder, not on me! ]

If you order the complete piece, there's no need to do any drilling; it comes with the frame in one box, the lock in another, and you need only use a screwdriver to put the two together.

Can anyone recommend a "comfortable" target shooting load for this .62 caliber smoothbore? 20 grains, 30, 40. (?)

Capt. William

:: ::
I hear you...but I know myself well enough to know I would not want to risk it...and I can tell you haven't seen me cut 2x4's with a skill saw yet have you :: ::

You will find 20gr. to 25gr. to be comfortable to shoot. Recoil goes up quickly with charges past 30gr., however it pretty much depends on what you find comfortable in modern guns. These big pistols, although not realy THAT heavy, have different recoil than modern pistols. It's slower and smoother, less snappy, however a 50gr. charge will probably kick a bit more than you're comforatble shooting.
: American hunters used these pistols for running buffalo from horseback & you can be assured they didn't use 20gr., but how much more, I don't know. Some of the pistols usd had swamped barrels with less than 1/16" steel in the swamp, however the heavier barreled martial pistols far out numbered the expansive "Gentleman's" pistols. I have one pictured pair that measure .013" in the swamp, on a BRASS pistol.(yes- 13 thou - 2 thou less than the fit-together brass tubing)

Can anyone recommend a "comfortable" target shooting load for this .62 caliber smoothbore? 20 grains, 30, 40. (?)

Capt. William

Here's the load data I received directly from Loyalist Arms for that particular model.

"We recommend you proof test the barrel with 60 grains of FFG BLACKPOWDER ONLY and a ball. We strongly recommend when you proof test the barrel, to not fire it from your hand, but in a proper fixture. All muzzle loading firearms should be proof tested.

The recommended charge is 30 grains of FFG with a ball.
For blank loads, heavier charges can be used @ 50 grains FFG.

You will have to thoroughly clean the barrel of the gun.

I would recommend using a round ball of .600, should you decide to fire live ammo and not blanks."

Back