• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting new or old books?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Are their any interesting new or old books?
What are you reading right know?
I just order the 2nd edition from:
'Wilderness War on the Ohio: The Untold Story of the Savage Battle for British and Indian Control of the Ohio Country During the American Revolution'
Part 1 is about guerilla techniques learned by the British during the F & I War. In part 2 we learn about the Rev War from the British and Indian perspectives.
:hatsoff:

I picked up Maj. Robert Gilchrist's The Confederate Defense of Morris Island. It was printed in 1884 and while fun to read, affirmed much of what I've written about the struggle for Morris Island. Huzzah!

Currently gobbling up 'Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter' -Meshach Browning, forward by Robert Wegner. A true-life narrative of wilderness experience on the near-frontier -1785 thru 1830. The language style is as appealing as the content.
Recently finished 'Captured by the Indians -15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870, edited by Frederick Drimmer. Just like being there [gulp]; and 'Forest Under My Fingernails', Walt Mclaughlin, -a 21st century trek journal of reflections and encounters along the length of Vermont's Long Trail. A contemplative gem by a philosopher/wordsmith with a profound appreciation for Nature and solitude.
Liked 'em all, from beginning to end.
~Longshot

"Sea Of Mud" by Greg Dimmick ... deals with the aftermath and retreat of the Mexican Army after the battle of San Jacinto, thru the archeological evidence.

Davu

Site now on my favourites...may have to do some serious buying!
(& no import duty on books..Yaaaaay)
Thanks,
Steve

I'm Reading- Mayflower- by Nathaniel Philbrick,
I thought it would be a little early 1620-1677 as far as the time period that interest me the most, but it really adds to the understanding of the gradual take over of north America by Europeans and the destruction of the native people and their Culture it moves right along it's hard to put down. :hmm:

Wilderness War is excellent; at least the 1st edition is. I'm sure the 2nd will be better.

Well I just picked up a book of history, science and prophesy from a second hand store. Yes it's a Bible but what's interesting is that it was printed in 1837 and there is an inscription from the orig owner (Joseph Morgan)dated 1838. Also found two other titles:" A son of the Revolution" by Elbridge Brooks with a copyright of 1898 and "The Green Moutain Boys" by Thompson with an inscription stating " entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1848 by Benjamin B. Mussey and Co." Haven't had time to start reading those yet but should be good reads. Squint

Confederates in the Attic, by Horwitz. A narrative about the contemporary south, re enacting and particularly, the utterly mad, hardcore re enactors. But a lot of history too. :rotf:

Finished reading Geronimo's autobiography while in-flight back from Washington, D. C. I picked it up from the Smithsonian American Indian Museum. He discusses his training as a child (running 4 miles daily up into the mountains), the process of becoming a warrior (go on four war parties and learn the trade much like an apprentice), fighting the Mexicans (who wiped out his first family) and Apache tactics and his own personal involvement in those battles. Fighting the 'Mericans and his eventual capitulation and adoption of Christianity. He talks about raising cattle, growing crops, going to the St. Louis Fair where he rides a Ferris Wheel, etc. A short read and a worthwhile read.

See our Non-MuzzleLoading Forum for an excerpt. It's under something like Apache Women v. Mountain Lion.

I'm currently reading The Civil War Day by Day by Robert E. Denney, and Beneath a Northern Sky by Stephen E. Woodworth.

I glanced through a copy of 1776 and it looks like a good candidate for my next read. Does anyone here have an opinion on this one?

"African Game Trails", by Theodore Rooseveldt. Next up Sir Samuel Baker on development of the sporting rifle. :winking:

"A History Of The French War"...a volume of the old Minor Wars of the United States series. By Rossiter Johnson; Dodd, Mead & Co., New York; 1882. A rather in-depth history of the French/English fracases of the 17th & 18th centuries.

"True To The Old Flag: A Tale Of The American War Of Independence." by G.A.Henty; A.L.Burt Co., Publishers; fly leaf missing but probably late 19th century, judging by age and condition. Interesting Loyalist look at the AWI even being an English source.

Try: The Conquerors, Wilderness Empire, The Frontiersman, The Dark and Bloody River, all by Allan W. Eckert

You forget The Wilderness War, Gateway to Empire, Twilight of Empire and A Sorrow in our Heart.

I agree all of the Allen Eckert Books are great
I read The Frontersmen the first time in 1978 and am halfway through it again now for the third time, another one of my favorites is, The Life of Daniel Boone by Lyman C. Draper, LL.D. Edited by Ted Franklin Belue :thumbsup:

Back